Hi there,
Here is my problem and a mean one: :mad:
I get this message "Windows/System32/Config/System file missing or corrupt" when I try to boot into XP Pro and get no further. I have read all the info on how to fix this using the Recovery Console with the XP Install Disks but the problem is I am in Korea for a few months while my disks are on some other continent. So I have the XP Home which I can boot into and runs well. And I still can get into the partition with XP Pro on it from XP Home.
So is there a way I can fix or restore some files using my access from XP Home? Can I restore a backup of the System file? This may be a silly question but could I copy the XP Home System file into the Config folder on XP Pro, replacing the corrupted file with the XP Home System file?
Hope anyone can help. My XP Home version is in Korean while I mostly use the XP Pro which is in English.(I don't speak Korean, my wife does).
I don't have SP2 installed on either and not even SP1 on XP Pro but I did have all the latest updates from Microsoft.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
By the way, my machine is a Toshiba Satellite 3000 with 512MB of ram and 30Gb of hard drive divided equally between the two OS's.

Recommended Answers

All 44 Replies

So you tried this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Of course you should be able to use your XP Home installation instad of the recovery-console - it should make things a lot easier.

You can try to extract the registry from the folder "System Volume Information" as described in the article above, without having to copy the registry from the "repair" folder first.

Good luck,

Michael

Thanks a lot, Michael! I have not tried what is described in the article but I did already have a look at it and was going to ask anyone on this forum for a second opinion in doing what you just suggested. So much appreciate your 2nd opinion in advance. I will go ahead and do ask you suggest and so what comes of it. Thanks again!

Ben

The first step in the link above requires the winxp cd-rom ! and you left yours home!!
1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
This might work worth a try .
Q: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is corrupt. HELP! (#3546)

A: Your system displays the error message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

That means the System Registry Hive has become corrupted.

There are two ways to get back up and running. The easy way which doesn't always work, and then there is the hard way.

Easy Way --- Note that this doesn't always work.
When you are booting your system, press the F8 key during the start of the bootup sequence, meaning after it does the Power On Self Test.

Once you press the F8 key, you will be taken to a Menu. Select "Boot Using Last Known Good Configuration".

It will now attempt to load Windows XP using a past set of configuration files.

If that doesn't work, there is the next step....the hard way.
The hard way is same as described in the microsoft link in above post

this has happend to me before, and i think this is how i fixed it...

when its booting up keep pressing f8 to get to the boot up selection menu. select safe mode and see if it boots up, then try opening restore and go back a week or so.. maybe it will replace the system file...

last easy solution would be to stick that hard drive into another computer as a slave drive and get all your information off it before you format and install...

you might have to reset folder permission settings if you get "not accessable" error when opening your "my documents" folder...

@caperjack

The windows XP - CD in the article above is only necessary to backup the corrupted registry and to copy the registry from the /repair -folder to the /Windows/config - folder! Because Yobo has a 2nd OS installed, he doesn't need to do this!

BTW: you can also use a BartPE-CD in such a case, or semthing similar.

Michael

Hi, I tried what you suggested Michael and I got into my Xp Pro and it is working well with a few small problems, problems which I think are my fault. According to the MS article I followed every step in Part One and then booted straight into XP Pro. I know, I should have first pressed F8 and into Safe mode but i didn't! And so as a result, i think, all I have for restore points is the only one it created after I fixed the system file and booted straight into XP Pro. Even from Xp Home I couldn't find any more restore points but the one created after the fix. So that leaves me with no previous registry entries to restore from. As a result, Disk Defrag won't work and my AVG Free edition is missing the Resident shield engine. AVG I fixed but defrag I can't seem to fix. And there may be other problems I don't yet see.
My question is, is it possible to use one of the system.bak files in the Windows/System32/config folder and rename it just system and copy it over the existing system file(the one I copied from the repair folder)? Would this solve anything or be OK?
I should tell you that in doing Part One of the MS article, I only did it to the system file, not the sam, security, software and default files. Have I messed up here?
Sorry but can you offer any help?
Thanks,
Ben

I have this same error message on my computer. I went to the microsoft support to figure out how to fix it and i am having problems with step 3

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

I get to the recovery console screen and it tells me to select the installation that I want to access. There is only one option so i press 1 and then press enter. after that it takes me to a blue screen that says i have a Bad_Pool_Caller. Please help me,

i currently have the same problem as u when repairing xp back in july when i press r,and then choose 1, I then get the blue screen saying Bad_Pool_Caller...did you manage to fix it? any help would be much appreciated.cheers.

Hello, I have the same problem. I'm running XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite notebook which is two years old. I've tried most of the suggestions above, and have come to the part where I am told to insert the original setup CD-ROM and select 'r'. Problem is, I don't have this. The computer came pre-loaded with Xp so I don't have an original Set up CD-ROM. I have the following: Product Recovery CD-ROMs 1 and 2, and a Tools and Utilities CD-ROM. Recovery CD-ROM gives me the option of recovering the entire hard drive which I really can't afford to do. I'm notsure what the purpose of the other two disks are, I've never used them before and they aren'tproducing any results now. User manual is unclear. Does anyone know: Which of these disks would contain the missing/corrupt file OR could I get the file from a friend's copy of XP, OR, should I just contact the manufacturer? All help appreciated. I'm sort of new to all this so forgive me if I sound clueless! Thanks a lot.

go to accireys then syestem tools then syestem restore and restoe to the day before this happened (if you can rember)

I know you get this a lot, but I have a crazy problem and really need your help. I had this corrupt config/system problem. Booting from last good config did not work, so I tried the other method that was listed and kept getting "access denied'' problems. I have no password on my computer and never have so I couldnt imagine getting denied access to copy the files to the registry.
To see if anything would work, I ran chkdsk, it started, was at 0% when all of a sudden my house lost power and the computer shut down. Once we regained power, I tried to turn it on again, and booting from the CD it said that windows could not find a hard drive on my computer!!!! the repair said that problem as well as when I tried to go to windows setup mode.
This is the craziest thing ever, please, please , PLEASE tell me that there is a way to fix this. I have a lot of stuff on this computer that I'd love to keep.
I need your help. Thank you,
Michael
Oh yes, and I am in a foreign country, so tech support is not very feasible.

Hello, I have the same problem. I'm running XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite notebook which is two years old.... I have the following: Product Recovery CD-ROMs 1 and 2, and a Tools and Utilities CD-ROM. Recovery CD-ROM gives me the option of recovering the entire hard drive which I really can't afford to do. ....

Similar problem, SONY Picturebook C1MV/M, XP in OEM mode. Q307545 not the answer. And F8 only gets me into my Phoenix BIOS. Doing this at least once a year, sadly, so far started from scratch every time with Recovery CDs, taking several days of installing XP updates and all software ... Need this notebook while on the road, GPS, email, copy of all my workfiles, etc. Can't keep wasting my time like this at my age (hint : I started programming in COBOL and FORTRAN in 1963 on IBM mainframes).
HELP !

Similar problem, SONY Picturebook C1MV/M, XP in OEM mode. Q307545 not the answer. And F8 only gets me into my Phoenix BIOS. Doing this at least once a year, sadly, so far started from scratch every time with Recovery CDs, taking several days of installing XP updates and all software ... Need this notebook while on the road, GPS, email, copy of all my workfiles, etc. Can't keep wasting my time like this at my age (hint : I started programming in COBOL and FORTRAN in 1963 on IBM mainframes).
HELP !

Let me add this :

However, I do have an external HDD (Apricorn EZ-GIG) that connects to my notebook via PCMCIA adapter. On it, I mirrored my Picturebook HDD about 16 months ago, so it’s quite outdated BUT the essentials of XP – minus recent updates – are on it. Can I do anything with that ?

And here the resolution, thanks to Pete's help on the PCG-C1 Web Forum :

Pete –

Second attempt a winner. You were right on the money : My first idea did not pan out, though. While I did find a Recovery Console on my W2K Upgrade CD right away, it did not shake loose my XP, these things are too specific, I guess.

I then went the 6 XP Boot Floppies route (who keeps floppies around any more ?), download from MS site. Only hitch came from the chkdsk /r/ /p command when that resulted in an error message “… cannot find autochk.exe in CDROM drive…. As a CD appeared to be called for, the only CD I had available was the W2K Upgrade, on which chkdsk was promptly found, followed by a 20-minute checking and recovery job.

XP started up like new upon exiting the Recovery Console.

Found an even easier solution, my mates PC did the same, so we put his HDD into the one we had at work as we were going to transfer some files he wanted to keep, then format his HDD, but in the process of booting up, the PC recognized that the HDD was corrupt, and repaired all the corupt/missing files, so we put his HDD back into his PC and it now works a treat.
His o/s is WinXP Pro, the same as the o/s in work, so don't know if it would work if the XP o/s are different. ie home/pro.

Hi there. I have a similar problem, but as one of you said in an earlier post, i have a Toshiba laptop and i dont have a windows xp CD.
I only have the " cds given by toshiba.
My step father on the other has a windows xp cd and i used it to try. I could reach the recovery console but i coumdnt dp any of the steps stated above as i always get an access denied. The prompt always starts at C:
and if i try to reach any folder, like windows,
C:/ cd windows
i get: access denied

Is it because the windows xp cd is not mine?

what else can i do?
thanks

Try

chkdsk /p

and

fixboot

i did it and it didnt work...
Any other solutions?
Is there a way i could get a windows cd corresponding to my number?

The problem it's not cause by the fact that the windows cd is not yours. It's because your file system is too corrupt. At this point I would either take the hard drive out and put it into a different system and backup all the data after which I would full format or if a different system is not available I would try a parallel installation backup and then full format.

But if i do that: get ,the hard drive out and plug it to another computer to extract al the data, don't i risk to cause problems to that other computer?
or is it ok...?

I own a computer repair shop in Omaha and one in Lincoln, NE. We have had over 30 customers come into our Service Centers in the past 3 days complaining that their windows/system32/config/system file is missing.

Normally we would just replace it with a backup and send them on their way. But there is a new problem that has emerged in the past few days. It seems tat now the entire c:\windows\system32\config folder is missing all together. Since this folder stores important information about your profile, applications, and registry, the computer will not boot and you can not log into the recovery console to attempt a repair.

There is no known remedy for this problem, other than backing up your data, reinstalling Windows XP, and then copying your data back over and reinstalling your applications. Even after that, it is entirely possible that your computer will simply crash again later with the same problem.

We have created a simple DOS batch file as well as a tutorial that shows you how to use it that will back up your config folder *in case* this should happen to you again. We have also listed instructions on how to recover your Windows installation using that backup in the event of a crash.

You can view the tutorial and download the backup tool at:
http://www.schrockinnovations.com/preventsys32config.php. Sorry to anyone out there who has been nailed by this, and I hope this backup batch program will help save you in the future.

Ran into this same problem with a customer's PC at work today with exact same issues as tschrock described. I was cleaning viri from the PC and went to reboot and BAM, no registry! Good times!

I have this same problem with the windows\system32\config\system error. I don't know if this is a dumb question or not. Can I reinstall XP without reformatting? I have alot of pictures, music, papers, etc. on my computer that I need to copy on a CD or jumpdrive before I try and fix the problem. If I reinstall XP will I be able to retrieve these? Thanks for any advise.

It will now attempt to load Windows XP using a past set of configuration files.
If that doesn't work, there is the next step....the hard way.
The hard way is same as described in the microsoft link in above post

I'm new here, and was driven to this site out of desperation. I have the same problem and already tried the MS Part 1 procedure - i.e. creating a tmp directory, copying files from "config" into "tmp", then deleting the named files in "config", and copying the files from the existing "repair" directory into "config."

My problem is that there is no "system" file in the "repair" directory! All the others are there, but no "system" which is the file that was currupt or missing in the first place.

Question - can this file be obtained from anywhere else in the windows directory? If not, how do I get around this? Thank you in advance for your help.

Knoppix to the rescue.

I found my way here having the same issue as y'all are talking on my desktop machine. Some have suggested pulling the hard drive to at least save your data before any more drastic measures, certainly a good idea, but theres a slightly more elegant way, if you have an external drive and don't mind getting your hands dirty on Linux.

Knoppix is an open-source Linux distribution designed to boot and run from a CD (easy to find, just google it). So, as I speak, I've booted my PC with Knoppix and am at least copying my valuable data to an external USB drive. Then if I have to take any drastic measures to get my PC bootable again, at least there has been no loss of data.

Don't worry if you've never used linux, Knoppix mounts your drives on the desktop just like Windows, and it's drag and drop from there. Applications for the most part will need to be re-installed, but you have your original CD's, right?

Wish there was an easier way to fix this Windoes issue though...

The instructions provided here worked for me, simpler than the MS solution:

http://www.schrockinnovations.com/preventsys32config2.php

In case the link doesn't work here are the abreviated instructions once you are in recovery console:

After you enter your password (or simply press enter) you should be at a prompt that reads "C:/windows". Type the commands below to navigate to your Windows/System32/Config directory and replace the appropriate file:

1. cd system32
  2. cd config
  3. ren system system.old
  4. cd .. (note the space after cd it is important)
  5. cd .. (note the space after cd it is important)
  6. cd repair
  7. copy system c:\windows\system32\config

Thanks for the reply. It came in a few days too late. I finally broke down and re-installed Windows. Most of the data was backed up, it was re-installing all the apps that was a real pain. I almost tried what you suggest, but the "repair" directory already had a missing (my fault) file.

Thank you. I'll keep a copy of your procedure for there next time ...and there will be a next time.

Oz

Thru' the recovery console, I checked that "c:\windows\system32\config\system" file has been renamed automatically to c:\windows\system32\config\systum and also other files like security etc are missing there. Also, these files are present in c:\windows\repair .

I tried to copy the system file from repair to config but it displays the error message - the file cannot be copied.

The copy command does not seem to be working. Can anyone help me out in this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.