I got these old Native American pictures and they are .ART files. This is from when I had AoL online on a desktop way back when. I wanted to convert them to .PNG files but I can't even find a program to even open them with. I was thinking of downloading AoL just to install and open them and then convert but I was hoping someone here might have an idea of another program I could use.

I tried google for an answer and gave up after an hour of clicking links.

I tried so far and failed:
irfanview
MS paint
Internet explorer
Firefox
The gimp (ver 2.6.6)

I dont' have photoshop and am not buying it just for a few files.
I was going to try the gimp but for some reason I get an "access violation at address" message and guess I have to figure that out first.

I am not even sure AoL can open these but i loath to install it on my system and find out.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi, cant blame you for not wanting to install AOL, you say you searched with google ,di you come by this one ,info on using IE to convert .
http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-16505.html

Edit : i read a bit more and i guess IE has updated a long time ago a patch that stops IE from opening .ART files

I wonder...I have an old IE5 disk. I think I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the older versino

I wonder...I have an old IE5 disk. I think I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the older versino

wonder! might help,but i think its the patch update that will affect it not the ie version

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.