Try this one: I have a HP Pavilion dv5215us; running the Media Center Edition of XP. I booted up the machine this morning and it nearly got through the startup but because the battery life sucks (and I didn’t know that the AC Adapter wasn’t plugged in... I have one of those AC Adapters that doesn’t connect quite right unless you mess with it a lot… and this is the 2nd one I’ve had), it shut down without warning.

Now when I turn it on, it displays the HP logo, goes to the Windows XP screen briefly, then reboots. I disabled the Restart Bootup on Error, and now it displays the Blue Screen of Death with the following message at the bottom: STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86F63828, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000) and locks there. Rebooting does nothing but start the same thing boot, reboot until I F8 into the configuration menu. I’ve tried every option on there, booting up in the various safe modes changes nothing. When I start it in Safe Mode with the Command Prompts, it stops at the MUP.SYS line before rebooting again.

Now the complicated part. For whatever reason, the computer is not recognizing the CD-ROM drive either. Something I didn’t notice until a couple of days ago. It recognizes no CDs, DVDs or anything. I have not had the chance to troubleshoot this issue before this happened

I ran the HDD test in the BIOS, and it is fine. I know that I may need to reimage the thing, but I’m not even able to get it to read a boot disk to back up the files before getting started.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks.

--Michael

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First, does your laptop detect your CD drive? If yes have you got the CD drive at a higher boot postion. If no then you may want to use an external one.

I think XP may be corrupted try repairing it using the XP CD.

If none of our suggestions help contact HP for help.

Nope. It doesn't detect the drive at all. I'll have to see how it works with an external drive otherwise I'm out of ideas. HP suggested re-seating the HD; which I did with no change.

You could get an usb SATA cable and copy any data from it to another hard drive, you could also try to replace the MUP.SYS.

Or you could get a linux live CD say ubuntu, and create a bootable USB memory stick and use this on your laptop to get your files.

One more thing have you tried booting without the CD Drive attached? Take it out and try it again.

I have one of those AC Adapters that doesn’t connect quite right unless you mess with it a lot… and this is the 2nd one I’ve had)

its most likely the power jack (soldered to the motheboard) that is the problem here and not the adapter

you could also try to replace the MUP.SYS.

if it shows mup.sys then it loaded it ,its' the next file in the list thats' causing the stall, usually the video driver!!

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

from this site
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.