Hi
I have a problem with my (optical) mouse in that it freezes during use of my computer. Itially it will be jerky in operation and if you try and move the mouse too fast or simply during careful use ithe mouse cursor will freeze. It can be "released" a couple of times by "ALT TABiing? or pushing the windows keyboard button twice but soon freezes for good.Ocassionally it freezes the whole computer. Often when your reboot up the computer after loosing the mouse, the mouse cursor is frozen and it takes 2 or 3 reboots to get a working mouse.
This also happens in safe mode and event viewer does not log any problem occurring when the nouse freezes. To date I have tried
a) Removal of the nouse driver and allowing the mnouse driver to be reinstalled.
b) Using MSconfig to remove sequentially remove parts of the startup procedure
c) Reducing hardware acceleration to zero
d) decreasing the number of colours displayed by the monitor and the quality of the display
e) updated my firewall, antivirus and adaware reference files and ran scans on antivirus and ad-aware.

All these efforts have failed to correct the problem and if anything things are getting worse. Any suggestions please. I am using a celeron 1700 computer with 256 meg of ram with XP operating system and update 2 installed. I use zonealarm for firewall, ad-aware for spyware, and AVG anti-virus

thanks for any advice

Hi
I have a problem with my (optical) mouse in that it freezes during use of my computer. ...

Try a different mouse. They're cheaply made, and break easily.

Hi
I have a problem with my (optical) mouse in that it freezes during use of my computer. Itially it will be jerky in operation and if you try and move the mouse too fast or simply during careful use ithe mouse cursor will freeze. It can be "released" a couple of times by "ALT TABiing? or pushing the windows keyboard button twice but soon freezes for good.Ocassionally it freezes the whole computer. Often when your reboot up the computer after loosing the mouse, the mouse cursor is frozen and it takes 2 or 3 reboots to get a working mouse.
This also happens in safe mode and event viewer does not log any problem occurring when the nouse freezes. To date I have tried
a) Removal of the nouse driver and allowing the mnouse driver to be reinstalled.
b) Using MSconfig to remove sequentially remove parts of the startup procedure
c) Reducing hardware acceleration to zero
d) decreasing the number of colours displayed by the monitor and the quality of the display
e) updated my firewall, antivirus and adaware reference files and ran scans on antivirus and ad-aware.

All these efforts have failed to correct the problem and if anything things are getting worse. Any suggestions please. I am using a celeron 1700 computer with 256 meg of ram with XP operating system and update 2 installed. I use zonealarm for firewall, ad-aware for spyware, and AVG anti-virus

thanks for any advice

Did you get to the bottom of the frozen mouse problem? I have the same issue and have tried 3 different mice - same problem with all of them.

I also have the mouse freezing especially during scans. Any solutions?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.