I'm not sure if my laptop (Sony VAIO) came with built-in wireless transmitter. I'm using Windows Vista and it doesn't detect software for my Verizon Wireless Express Card. Our internet provider at the office is Clearwire, but I'm not positive I'll be able to get wi-fi there to allow me to install Verizon software.

I have installed the same software on old laptop (also Windows Vista) in 2006. It just shouldn't be this hard.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If your hardware isn't automatically detected and installed by Vista, the first option is to find Vista-built drivers, which are in short supply.

The next method is to use compatability mode to run the driver installation program in "Windows XP" mode. If that fails/does not install ...

Extract or browse to the folder with the .inf files (driver files) for the device, select every .inf file, and right click Install them. After the process has finished, use Device Manager to install by navigating to the .inf files' location and going through them until you find one that is detected. If none work, then tough luck. You'll just have to wait until the manufacturer updates the drivers.

If your hardware isn't automatically detected and installed by Vista, the first option is to find Vista-built drivers, which are in short supply.

The next method is to use compatability mode to run the driver installation program in "Windows XP" mode. If that fails/does not install ...

Extract or browse to the folder with the .inf files (driver files) for the device, select every .inf file, and right click Install them. After the process has finished, use Device Manager to install by navigating to the .inf files' location and going through them until you find one that is detected. If none work, then tough luck. You'll just have to wait until the manufacturer updates the drivers.

That recommendation (installing everying INF) is a very uninformed one. Windows will only install a driver whose device ID matches that in the INF. To understand this, look at the device's Properties->Details->Property->Hardware Ids (in Device Manager) compare that with the IDs in the INF. Try Update Driver Software automatically, or use Windows Update. If that doesn't work, contact device manufacturer for the update.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.