Hi!

Greetings from abroad - I apologize for the poor English ...

My (son's) computer can't access the internet ... I have deactivated all IE all-on programs and also used the MS guides in Vista, but it still doesn't work

I have upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8 with no positive effect.

Unless, unless ... If I use the IE 7/8 64-bit version on the computer, it all works well ... but the 64-bit cannot be set as default!

I expect that some of you might say, it is caused by some malware. Yes perhaps - I do have a software firewall (BullGuard) - it might have been deactivated at some unfortunate point.

The scan from BullGuard and RegTool doesn't show anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should look for?

/Mads

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you tried uninstalling IE8 and reinstaling IE7?

If the 64-bit version works then it probably means that you have a 64-bit operating system. To check weather you have a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system just follow the instructions under the vista section in this page. If you follow those instructions and it says 64 bit on the screen then you know that you must have the 64 bit version of IE.
If however that is not the case, I would suggest switching to Firefox or Opera.

I am tired of IE, works slowly, protecting the poor. For two years now, they did not take.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't go back on the IE8 ... and to a certain extent I have to operate/to stick to IE (net banking).

I got the suspicion that I should look at the BullGuard FW again ... So I reinstalled it with a complete "newbuild" of all the rules. Now, /yesterday ewening) everything works!

Ince again - thanks!

/Mads

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.