So, I got my iPod touch the other day to find out my iTunes will not see it. Windows vista will, but iTunes won't. I tried this on a other computer running XP and my other OS on my comp, and they work fine, so I'm thinking I'm missing a file or something. Also, itunes installation fails if I do not have quicktime uninstalled as well. It just rolls back the action and quits. Help?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

i was getting that problem with ipod touch and HP computer runnng XP Pro .. try restoring your pc to earlier restore point and do installation of quicktime/itunes. Also i've used a porgram named "Senuti" to help read ipods.

senuti is a mac only program. I tried restore , but I don't know when this started.

sorry bout the program mix up, i've used a program on my pc also used a program called hfsexplorer but that does not apply in this situation.

I was using an ipod touch on an HP a1012x and i had just installed XP pro

and the ipod touch would be read as a camera ... I finally had to reinstall software and reinstall quicktime/itunes and restore my ipod.

Maybe you can find another solution other than that. I had to extract my music using another program and put them on another hard drive and then do the reinstalls.

Almost forgot, something to do with ipod being read on one itunes store and one computer. thats why I archived what music i had and r&r everything. then used my account in itunes to do everything else.

Well does anyone know what file iTunes uses to detect ipods?

now i remember pod2pc software

I'm having a similar problem. Transferred to a new computer running Win Old computer ran XP and iTunes recognized my iTouch. All my music files transferred but iTouch not recognized although Windows sees it as a camera. I have reinstalled iTunes numerous times and diagnostics indicates that the Apple Mobile device system is working. Both computers are using thew same version of iTunes. Any ideas would be welcome as I'm pretty frustrated.

I have a similar problem. Upgraded Vista 32 to Win 7 ultimate 32. Ok - install Itunes and everything works - I am all set right? I get a message from Itunes - new software do I want to install. I do. Craps out in the middle, reboot and everything is bad - very bad. Itunes does not recognize the ipod touch. Windows does not recognize the apple device. The problem is my ipod touch has gone into recovery mode and win7 does not recognize it.
After numerous hours on the web searching for a solution. What did we do before the web? I discover I need the following file:
usbaapl.sys driver. The Apple website was less than helpful. Basically amounting to re-install Itunes and all should be fine.....
They do not have a place to download the usbappl.sys file. It is hidden inside the Itunes download file.
I try lots of things - numerous reboots and I am still having problems. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have a solution?

It was pretty complicated to fix but Apple helped me. The guy was very patient as it took 2 hours. Had to change the registry, etc but it seems to finally be working.

now i remember pod2pc software

I have a similar problem. Upgraded Vista 32 to Win 7 ultimate 32. Ok - install Itunes and everything works - I am all set right? I get a message from Itunes - new software do I want to install. I do. Craps out in the middle, reboot and everything is bad - very bad. Itunes does not recognize the ipod touch. Windows does not recognize the apple device. The problem is my ipod touch has gone into recovery mode and win7 does not recognize it.
After numerous hours on the web searching for a solution. What did we do before the web? I discover I need the following file:
usbaapl.sys driver. The Apple website was less than helpful. Basically amounting to re-install Itunes and all should be fine.....
They do not have a place to download the usbappl.sys file. It is hidden inside the Itunes download file.
I try lots of things - numerous reboots and I am still having problems. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have a solution?

Having exactly the same problem. itouch works fine when connected for first time. If itunes/itouch is updated with latest updates the itouch crashes half way through installation and freezes. Itouch is then 'dead'. Will not reset or switch on. Have returned itouch for replacement and this has now happened twice.
It seems that there is some problem in Windows 7 with drivers for itouch. I can not find any solution and have tried Apple. They refuse to assist and say it is a Windows issue. They did not state when I bought itouch that it will not function with Windows 7.

It was pretty complicated to fix but Apple helped me. The guy was very patient as it took 2 hours. Had to change the registry, etc but it seems to finally be working.

Was this an Apple store guy or Apple support? Any pointers as to what needs to be done to resolve the problem. Who to speak to etc? Apple support have been useless and 2 different advisors have suggested changing the o/s back to Xp or Vista. That really is good advice!
I don't have an Apple store within 60 miles so that really is not an option.

I have to say this has not been my experience. I am running Windows 7 and bought a 32 GB iTouch at the end of 09. As I indicated when I started this thread, I could not get iTunes to recognize it although the computer thought it was a camera. My experience with Apple was different. I called and it was right at 90 days after my purchase but they indicated I would get free help since I had a new iTouch. The first person instructed me to try a number of things but none worked. He then got me to a more experienced technician. This individual was incredibly patient and during snowmaggedon spent more than 2 hours on the telephone with me. We had to go into the registry and edit permissions but in the end, it was successful. My iTouch now works fine. My computer is a new 64 bit Dell. Try using CCleaner.

Alternatively go to http://www.rizonetech.com/?p=888 and use that program to reset your permissions. This step actually solved a problem I was having with some Microsoft Office Updates not installing.

Thanks for the info. My problem is perhaps a little more serious as I am now on my 3rd iTouch. The previous 2 have all worked fine straight from the box, apart from downloaded games not working. The problem is caused by trying to update the iTouch. At this point, after download, update fails to install and then the itouch dies totally. It will not switch on or reset and my pc no longer finds it. I get a message telling me that there is a problem with the drivers. When I try to reinstall or update driver my pc tells me that I already have the most suitable drivers

If it's brand new, Apple is supposed to help you. They told me they will accept 1 problem for help in the 1st 90 days. If the first person can't find a solution ask for one of the more experienced technicians.

Thanks for the info. My problem is perhaps a little more serious as I am now on my 3rd iTouch. The previous 2 have all worked fine straight from the box, apart from downloaded games not working. The problem is caused by trying to update the iTouch. At this point, after download, update fails to install and then the itouch dies totally. It will not switch on or reset and my pc no longer finds it. I get a message telling me that there is a problem with the drivers. When I try to reinstall or update driver my pc tells me that I already have the most suitable drivers

No such luck. This ipod is only 5 days old. Apple have no interest as it is a windows 7 problem (their words). I have again been told to change operating system. Phoned store in Manchester and advisor there said same. Change O/S. It seems clear that Apple do not want to know. They are happy to sell the product but this is hardly 'support' regardless of where the problem lay. My only option is not to update the itouch and forgo half the options on it. Wonderful

That is really bizarre. As I indicated, my iTouch works with Windows 7 and that was never mentioned by Apple as a problem when I called them. Did you try CCleaner or the permission reset from Rizone?

hi Junyah and all daniweb bloggers, how come my Windows Vista 32 bit Servicepack 2 won't read ipod touch models,? :( aww man,, at the moment i am beginning to lose hope even though i just left my ipod touch to power mac repair center this morning to be replaced a couple of weeks from now, the ipod touch is so choosy, it is recognized in macbooks but not in my VIsta ,, :( i am pessimistic that the replacement ipod touch will not be recognized by my vista laptop,, sheeshh,,, so frustrating, I wish i have never known the ipod. I swear there's nothing wrong with my vista laptop, because it recognized the ipod nano and ipod classic of my aunt and friends.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.