I had a small issue with my XP Pro...so I put in my cd and of the three options, I selected the first one...hit enter and on the next screen I hit R to repair it....after it was done doing its thing, the computer restarted and showed the installation screen.

When it got to 33 percent...a window opened asking for the 25 product key.

Here is the problem...The real XP Pro cd, I lost but I had made a backup...which is the one I used to do the repair...so I entered in the key code that I wrote on the cd...but it didnt work...it said "product key not valid".

I dont know why it does not work...so I tried the following. I downloaded the "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" installed it on a 3.5 floppy disk, then I put the cd "MiniPE" cd and turned on the laptop...I worked my way to a explorer type app and selected the A: drive...clicked on the Keyfinder app...it didnt find anything on its own..until I clicked on browse and selected the C:windows folder...then it found a XP Pro Key code. I tried to point the keyfinder app to a few different folders but none worked.

I restarted the laptop with the copied xp pro and entered in the key code that keyfinder found...but still did not work.

I dont understand what is wrong. I thought maybe it was because the key code I had was either no good or bad...so I went online and bought a OEM Xp Pro cd...I received it today and entered in the product key from the back and STILL does not work.

Do you think I need to install the NEW xp cd I just bought first and then try the new key? I read somewhere online that it does not matter...just that the key code need to be new.

Im also trying to keep from doing a fresh install because there are important files/pic's of family members not here anymore...that I dont want to lose.

I just dont know what or why it does not work. Im sorry for writing so much...was not sure if anyone would understand if I didnt explain everything.

Please Help,

Yes, the new product is only good for that new disk. re-install windows with the new disk and everything should work fine.

well the way i see it is im at that same prob i put my cd in did the process and now i need product key i found this page on the internet it said this
How-To: Find Windows XP Product Key from the Windows XP CD:

1) Insert Windows XP cd into a working computer.
2) Exit the Autorun introduction.
3) Open “My Computer”
4) Right Click on the Windows XP cd-rom drive and select explore.
5) Open the USWXP32P_ZX folder. (It may be as a hidden folder. If you cannot locate the folder, you may also search for unattend.txt and mark “Search Hidden Files”.)
6) Open the sysprep folder.
easier way just search for this under hidden files
7) Open unattend.txt

Your CD’s product key is contained within the unattend.txt file.
i did this got my cd key at bottom put in code on my laptop with the ced in and it said the product id you entered is not valid think you can help thanks

never mind i used keyfinder and it wordked thanks anyway i love this world thank god for technolgy

back up data ...wipe hard drive and do clean instal...all should be well then

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.