I have a Thinkpad T30 (5 years old) running XP Pro, SP3. T30 will take a max RAM of 1024, and my System screen says it has 512. I was going to order another 512 for the other slot till I openned it up and found there are already two 512's in the 2 slots. Anybody know why my computer isn't seeing the max?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You sure the max ram is 1024? Ive got an R30, its from the early 2000s, and its max ram is only 512mb...

Maybe you need a BIOS update?

You sure the max ram is 1024? Ive got an R30, its from the early 2000s, and its max ram is only 512mb...

Maybe you need a BIOS update?

I'm sure it is 1 gig. I checked max stats at the website for my particular model and year. I'll check for bios, but I don't know how to tell which version I have.

It will tell you the BIOS version in the BIOS setup menu itself, on most thinkpads its either F1,F11,F12 or DEL at boot.

It will also tell you accurately how much RAM it detects. if it cant see it then it means its a H/W issue not a windows issue.

Probably it is a hardware issue else the 'not shown' RAM is being used as AGP Aperture through the bios which is very unlikely since the missing RAM is equal to the available amount...why don't you try removing it and fixing/tightening it...if you remove it then wipe it clean with a dry cloth and so also with a rubber piece...hopefully should read else the slot may be faulty..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.