Im trying to reinstall Xp on my computer but i keep getting the message Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check). What does this mean and what should i do? Please Help

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Its a disc error.. There possibly maybe bad sectors on the CD which you are trying to install XP from...

Cyclic redundancy checks
More complex error detection (and correction) methods make use of the properties of finite fields and polynomials over such fields.

The cyclic redundancy check considers a block of data as the coefficients to a polynomial and then divides by a fixed, predetermined polynomial. The coefficients of the result of the division is taken as the redundant data bits, the CRC.

On reception, one can recompute the CRC from the payload bits and compare this with the CRC that was received. A mismatch indicates that an error occurred.

Do you have working op-system?
then Start menu->Run->write 'cmd' without apostrophe and press enter
If you want to check the disk in drive D and have Windows fix errors, type:

chkdsk d: /f

chkdsk means: Checks the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays only the status of the volume and does not fix any errors. If used with the /f, /r, /x, or /b parameters, it fixes errors on the volume.The chkdsk command, with different parameters, is available from the Recovery Console.

/f means : Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.

if you want to learn more then notify .... :D

Generally it means your XP CD is scratched.

if you are trying to upgrade from an existing legacy os like 98/me then try to copy the i386 folder from the disc to local drive and then try to install again
If its a format installation check with the disc

GOOD LUCK

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.