ok, so i put in a recovery disk to start all fresh and new on my dell desktop computer. I re-installed windows XP with the CD and everything was going good. When I put in my MTS Internet CD, it checked off everything and said it passed the test, but then it said Ethernet Adapter (a pop up window): shutdown, add hardware, and reboot. The problem is that my computer already HAS and ethernet adaptor, and I have a wireless box so the rest of the comps in my house work. What could be the problem????

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

ok, so i put in a recovery disk to start all fresh and new on my dell desktop computer. I re-installed windows XP with the CD and everything was going good. When I put in my MTS Internet CD, it checked off everything and said it passed the test, but then it said Ethernet Adapter (a pop up window): shutdown, add hardware, and reboot. The problem is that my computer already HAS and ethernet adaptor, and I have a wireless box so the rest of the comps in my house work. What could be the problem????

Thanks!

Hello,

may I ask what this internet CD is.

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

Hello,

may I ask what this internet CD is.

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

its called MTS High Speed Internet Installation CD. Cause we are hooked up with our MTS TV. so when it does the test on the 6 items to check to make sure everything is working, they are all getting checked off as working. BUt then it says that I need to add the Ethernet hardware. Now it is saying that it detects the hardware, but there is no driver present? What driver is that?

Go to control panel > performance and maintenance > Administrative tools > computer management. On the left select device manager, then expand network adapters and double click on the network adapter. Make sure the device usage is set to enabled and click on the driver tab and see if the driver is there.

there is no 'Network Adaptors' in that tab????

Did you notice if any other items had an icon like an exclamation mark next to them?

Could you connect to the internet before using this CD?

Have you tried rebooting without the Ethernet cable plugged in or is this desktop wireless? On the wireless box does it show the PC is connected?

Did you notice if any other items had an icon like an exclamation mark next to them?

Could you connect to the internet before using this CD?

Have you tried rebooting without the Ethernet cable plugged in or is this desktop wireless? On the wireless box does it show the PC is connected?

We tried the rebooting thing. Nothing happened. Yes, i could connect to the internet before using the CD. we only restored the computer because i had a really bad Google Redirect Virus so I couldn't do anything anymore. We didn't see any other tabs that had exclamation marks or anything next to them.

Well I wouldn't bother with the CD next time I find they often interfere and as in your case mess something up. Have you tried restoring the computer to an earlier state?

ok, now there are 2 things that have an exclamation mark. ethernet controller and audio controller.

Double click on the items with exclamation marks and see what it says.

I suspect you are going to have to install the drivers for them. Visit the Dell website and get your drivers for the components and install the drivers.

Hope this helps.

on the dell website it doesnt have drivers listed for my model, which is a optiplex gx260. all they have is 760. but thats the reason, cause of the drivers. cause we have a dell cd for drivers and utilities, we just dont know which one is the right one to install

on the dell website it doesnt have drivers listed for my model, which is a optiplex gx260. all they have is 760. but thats the reason, cause of the drivers. cause we have a dell cd for drivers and utilities, we just dont know which one is the right one to install

Okay you are looking for ethernet or network drivers.

Have you made any hardware changes since you bought it?
Have you updated any drivers?

If the answer to both is no I see no problem with installing them all.

your dell should have a service tag on the case ,go to dell and type in the tag # and it will take you to correct drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.