the very first post indicates its a laptop!
I have a v2000 and the dvd removes via a small screw under side ,remove and slid out the dvd rom

also a little info on the compaq v3000.
similar/same model description !

Compaq Presario V3000 Laptop Computer

- 1.66 Ghz Dual AMD Processor
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition / Upgradable to Vista
- AVG 8.0 Antivirus with Subscription
- Nvidia Ge Force Go 6150 Graphics Card
- 1GB Ram
- 100 GB Hard Drive
- DVD Multi-recorder Drive with LightScribe

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-presario-v3000/4507-3121_7-31864365.html?tag=mncol;rnav

"When you assign a drive letter to a drive. It is permanent so virtual drives cannot take over your laptop or PC or Computer or Mac or Notebook." I know what you mean, but maybe fixed is a better word than permanent, because one can change them to an unused letter via Disk Mgmnt.
But sure, the sys will not vary them arbitrarily. It is the partition [drive] signature that is permanent.
"... Surely what gerbil said......doesnt make sense. I am putting DVDs in the drive and the DVD RAM is changing to CD Drive every time." Well, it should make sense - Explorer should reflect what the drive is seeing. To the point that if you insert eg. an audio cd the drive will change to Audio CD (X:). And so forth. But your device in Explorer does not.
1. When the drive is empty is shows as DVD Drive but as soon as I put a blank DVD into it, it shows as a CD drive.
2. When I try and burn a DVD from Sonic MyDVD it says "No valid recordable device was detected". - I still say that this points to a death in the family.
"By the way, my drive can read DVDs without a problem.". Ah, I was waiting for that... and it can be so. But may not burn any more.

Couple of points.... could we see a list of your software, please? Nothing fancy, a screenshot of Program Files directory will do. What i am interested in are current or once image creation pgms. DTools, Alcohol...
Every DVD drive comes with a list of acceptable and tested DVD makes to use. Are you complying with that, or at least still using the same make that once worked?
You could delete the MountedDevices subkey so that Windows loses all info about USB drives that have been attached - the key will be recreated with current info only.

Personally, I don't delete anything I can't replace or restore.
Some DVD disks are +RW, some are -RW, and some are +-RW.

Perhaps the drive is not +- but the blank disk is +R?
=======================================
"How long is a piece of string?"

Don't think its a +or- issue!
I think its been a long time since the -r and +r was a factor ,older HP DVD drive were +R only and maybe a few others
I have Compaq v2000 and it reads + and - dvd's

Thanks for all your help. I managed to fix the problem and the DVD drive burns perfectly from Sonic and all other applications.

I added lower filters with the data as PxHelp20

I got this info from Apple Mac site about itunes issues.

It's funny how the Poster doesn't give all the clues until after its solved!

All the clues?! I gave all the info in the FIRST post. I can't help it if you can't read!!

And what is the relevance of asking for a poster's age? Are you coming onto me or something?

You're a strange guy Jupiter. Very pedantic and clearly not that willing to want to help someone that might call a laptop by the word computer!

Also, maybe a tad upset that you couldn't solve such a simple problem and Apple Mac were the ones to solve a Windows issue and not an "expert" such as you?

So can you tell me these details that I've suddenly posted after the issue has been solved elsewhere? Or will you go all quiet now?

By the way, how old are you and what colour underwear do you sleep in?

Thanks for all your help. I managed to fix the problem and the DVD drive burns perfectly from Sonic and all other applications.
I added lower filters with the data as PxHelp20 I got this info from Apple Mac site about itunes issues.

Refer to this site for information on PxHelp20.sys
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/pxhelp20.sys.html

You will find that it's not an iTunes issue but Sonic DVD problem, I suggest you get Nero. Unload Sonic DVD and load Nero
On Nero setup, uncheck Nero Scout and Google toolbar ie don't include them. Other than that its good to go and will fix the problem you had and will have in the fututre if you continue using Sonic DVD.

I got a bit dirty because you had no sense to remind me that it was a laptiop. I got a bit dirty because you sound like you've never had a laptop or a computer before.

I apologise for any indiscretion my previous answers may have given.
"If all my answers are wrong, only then will I read the Question."

I aM hAvInG PrObLeM with my dvd ram drive..hp pavillion..
which is " HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA H20L"..its not reading and writing blank dvds....is there any other solution than changing a driver.???
its a lightscribe technology driver...............

please help.....any help wud be greatly appreciated

I aM hAvInG PrObLeM with my dvd ram drive..hp pavillion..
which is " HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA H20L"..its not reading and writing blank dvds....is there any other solution than changing a driver.???
its a lightscribe technology driver...............

This thread has been solved. Could you please "Start an New Thread" so that other people can help answer your question?
go to the Category that best suits, probably, Hardware and Software, then click the new thread button.

lappoo, if it is still under warranty get it back to the shop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.