I am upgrading my emachine T3302 from a Sempron 3300 cpu to an Athlon 3400 cpu. When I installed the new chip I discharged myself to ground, and used new heatsink compound. When I boot my computer, windows starts up, my cpu fan increases in speed twice, and before all programs are loaded the PC shuts down. I found information suggesting I clear my CMOS memory and/or flash my BIOS. I cleared my CMOS, no help. So, I started looking for a BIOS upgrade or a BIOS flash utility, and can't find anything on emachine's site or gateway's either. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Well as far asd I knew (and thats not too much) I thought soem big hardware changes caused you to reformat your hard drive. That was my instail thought but then I remembered back in the Pentium III days I could switvh between two without anything going wrong.

Okay my first thought after this is your power supply. It could be that the Athlon (dual core?) is consuming more watages then the previous sempron. So it may be that you have to get a bigger PSU. What PSU do you currently have installed?

hi download and run cpuid and go to motherboard section and it should show an actual motherboard model # ,get and search for that .you may find more info on bios .post the model # here also .
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_151_setup.exe

I forgot to include, My motherboard is a K8M-800M. I have searched using the part number (at emachines, gateway, and google). Still can't find any upgrades or tools.

Well as far asd I knew (and thats not too much) I thought soem big hardware changes caused you to reformat your hard drive. That was my instail thought but then I remembered back in the Pentium III days I could switvh between two without anything going wrong.

Okay my first thought after this is your power supply. It could be that the Athlon (dual core?) is consuming more watages then the previous sempron. So it may be that you have to get a bigger PSU. What PSU do you currently have installed?

The Athlon is a single core processor, and I just checked, it runs at 1.5V.

My Sempron is running at 1.39V.

What PSU do you have? I'm pretty sure there is a watt calculator out there somewhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.