Very odd, other devices apparently work FINE in the port but upon connecting mp3 to my computer i get the following: ONE OF THE USB DEVICES ATTACHED TO THE COMPUER HAS MAL FUNCTIONED..WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNIZE IT...yES I have tried 2 different mp3 players and also 2 different usb cords., maybe one of you can walk me through this please....

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

what kind of mp3 players are u using ,did any of them come with drivers/software on a cdrom perhaps that you could install first

apple, the cheaper one had no cd

Very odd, other devices apparently work FINE in the port but upon connecting mp3 to my computer i get the following: ONE OF THE USB DEVICES ATTACHED TO THE COMPUER HAS MAL FUNCTIONED..WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNIZE IT...yES I have tried 2 different mp3 players and also 2 different usb cords., maybe one of you can walk me through this please....

Hi, I'm not a technical person but I came here for help and thought I would reply. We had the same issue when trying to use an NXT Robot, yet our camera and everything else worked fine in the USB port. I was told to update the driver. We will try that soon, but as of yet, we haven't. Maybe it will help you. Like I said, everything else plugged into the same USB works - just the Robot won't. I get the message "can't read from device". The robot works fine on a different computer, just not on the Dell Dimension.

did you install I-tunes from apple

Remove the Mp3 player. Insert the Setup cd that came with your player. Follow the instructions. A message will tell you when to insert the mp3 player.

Remove the Mp3 player. Insert the Setup cd that came with your player. Follow the instructions. A message will tell you when to insert the mp3 player.

check post #3

apple mp3 players require I-tunes ,even the I-Pod shuffle

All Ipods come with a Setup Cd (includes ITunes, and Ipod Updater program ) when you purchase it from a shop.
I have 5 Ipods. Even my Creative ZEN came with a cd setup disk.

All Ipods come with a Setup Cd (includes ITunes, and Ipod Updater program ) when you purchase it from a shop.
I have 5 Ipods. Even my Creative ZEN came with a cd setup disk.

I live in Canada maybe thats the difference ,but i have a iPod nano 4 gig and a 1 gig iPod shuffle and neither came a cdrom ,how would it possibly fit in the small plastic case the player's comes in !
I have a Zen micro that came with a setup cd in the box ,none with my ipods

this is how there are sold here ,in this small package .
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/IPod-Nano-package.jpg

You put the cd DISK into the computer.
When you are advised to insert Ipod, you use a usb cable, from the Ipod to a USB port in your computer.

You put the cd DISK into the computer.
When you are advised to insert Ipod, you use a usb cable, from the Ipod to a USB port in your computer.

you need some sleep i think , there is no CD ,reread post #3

djm123 Junior Poster
Re: mp3 and USB port #3 17 Hours Ago

He bought the apple Ipod because the cheaper one had no cd.

He bought the apple Ipod because the cheaper one had no cd.

that depends on how you read it .i read it like this .

Apple,the cheaper one, had no cd.

one had a cd and one didnt, the one WITHOUT the cd does not have a reset button, it has a frozen houglass, I take it that is shot!@?

so, i read it wrong !lol

This is going to be a ramble -
One of my Ipods, an 8gb Nano (Mp3 audio / Mp4 video) player, used to work but it was in Chnese. I got it before Nanos became available in Australia (gift from Chinese person). I tried to do an update because I had no CD disk specific. I even tried to get an update from Apple. Apple didn't have any updates because it was a new product.

I loaded music to the Nano and it worked fine. I could even view the files in the Computer Explorer. Anyway, I somehow wrecked it. I now get the hourglass. Regular Ipods have a serial number on the back. This Nano has no serial number. Nothing recognises it.
Mine must be either 1st generation or perhaps a beta test model

From Apple site - 1st to 4th generation
Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

I'm going to try that now. Hope it helps you.

i one found instruction to change the language ,with a google search ,mine got switched to Chinese once also ,i cant remember how but it worked for me !

caperjack - you said you didn't get a setup cd.
This might apply to you.
Ipod packaging is like a book. In the middle sits the Ipod. The "covers" are storage compartments that, in one side, is the setup CD, and in the other side are the earphones and Usb Cable.

Have you still got your packaging?

An Ipod has a serial number on the back. During setup, you will be required to type in the serial number.

There are different setup cds, depending on when you buy it.

caperjack - you said you didn't get a setup cd.
This might apply to you.
Ipod packaging is like a book. In the middle sits the Ipod. The "covers" are storage compartments that, in one side, is the setup CD, and in the other side are the earphones and Usb Cable.

Have you still got your packaging?

An Ipod has a serial number on the back. During setup, you will be required to type in the serial number.

There are different setup cds, depending on when you buy it.

nope ,package is only a bit bigger than the ipod itself ,2 1/4"w x 3"h

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.