before you start formatting or doing things that erase your data, take it to a computer shop. If you live in Melbourne, I can refer you to a good shop.

If you have never seen inside a computer, then this might be too daunting. Anyway, unplug the cord from the back of the computer.
Take off the cover. its the panel on YOUR left side. There is a bolt like screw half way down. Unscrew it. It is removeable. Don't lose it.
Locate the CD/DVD drive. Take note how the ide cable and power cable are plugged in. Write it down. Uplug the cable and cord.

Put the cover back on, no need for the screw, its in case you accidently put your foot inside.
Put the power cable back into the back of the Power supply
Remove any extra devices from usb ports like a camera orphone or flash drive.
Turn on the computer. if it works and you got something happening then the power supply is inadequate.
This is where the other guyas take over

You need to update the ram to at least 512 mb. The video has to be the same brand otherwise it bugs everything else and at least 128mb.video ram.

my pc is a compaq presario desktop 6420nx amd athelon running xp home edition. I dont have the disk to reinstall because it came on the pc when i got it. can anyone recommend another way of rolling back to factory settings without the disk? this has got to end!!! i want my pc back and running!!! i dont care about losing files, i just want the thing working again and i have no disk! i put a new hard drive in last april, its been working fine up until last month, what gives?

There are plenty of online instructions as to how to make a recovery CD/DVD. But if your computer is already playing up, this might be difficult. A lot of repair shops in Sydney, will make one for your computer, if the manufacturer won't supply same. The shop folks generally won't charge you much and most I've found to be very helpful, I guess that culture is pretty much the same everywhere. (My daughter had a similar problem with her HP laptop, last year whilst doing a Navy course in the U.S...she went to a local repair shop in Florida where she was staying, and the fellow helped her for free. It might have been the uniform!) Anyhow roz33, ask around where you live, somebody will help you.
Cheers Puddlejumper.:)

There are plenty of online instructions as to how to make a recovery CD/DVD. But if your computer is already playing up, this might be difficult. A lot of repair shops in Sydney, will make one for your computer, if the manufacturer won't supply same. The shop folks generally won't charge you much and most I've found to be very helpful, I guess that culture is pretty much the same everywhere. (My daughter had a similar problem with her HP laptop, last year whilst doing a Navy course in the U.S...she went to a local repair shop in Florida where she was staying, and the fellow helped her for free. It might have been the uniform!) Anyhow roz33, ask around where you live, somebody will help you.
Cheers Puddlejumper.:)

thanx pj, i went on the compaq site and printed the direction to rollback to factory settings, trouble is my start menu isnt showing so i cant acess the all programs i.e start>all programs>compaq tools so i cant even begin to do the system rcovery thing, also did i mention my desktop icons are m.i.a? yes missing! i have no other way to acess my desktop accept through the task manager and hitting run new task and then the grueling hours long wait till it finally shows what i want to access, im lossing my flipping mind here! my hubby bought me a laptop with windows vista on it,but i still want to fix my pc because i never had a problem fixing it until now, i guess its my ego,but i aint gonna stop till its fixed or dead!

Dead is easy. But if you want to get it going.. and are not too fussed about what is on it, and have some form of boot disk available like Recovery Console... or can borrow an XP disk.... just use it to copy these files from Windows\repair to system32\config [you can do them one at a time, checking if the sys functions upon restart after each copy]. It is just wise to rename the original system32\config files first.
security system sam software.
These files were the state of your registry when last you did a Repair or Installation of the OS. So using them should get things going, but later software installations etc will not be recognised, although data files will be intact.

Dead is easy. But if you want to get it going.. and are not too fussed about what is on it, and have some form of boot disk available like Recovery Console... or can borrow an XP disk.... just use it to copy these files from Windows\repair to system32\config [you can do them one at a time, checking if the sys functions upon restart after each copy]. It is just wise to rename the original system32\config files first.
security system sam software default.
These files were the state of your registry when last you did a Repair or Installation of the OS. So using them should get things going, but later software installations etc will not be recognised, although data files will be intact.
This, if saved as a batch file to your desktop, will do it all:

cd c:\
cd %windir%
md tmp
copy system32\config\default tmp\default.bak
copy system32\config\sam tmp\sam.bak
copy system32\config\security tmp\security.bak
copy system32\config\software tmp\software.bak
copy system32\config\system tmp\system.bak

delete system32\config\default
delete system32\config\sam
delete system32\config\security
delete system32\config\software
delete system32\config\system

copy repair\default system32\config\default
copy repair\sam system32\config\sam
copy repair\security system32\config\security
copy repair\software system32\config\software
copy repair\system system32\config\system

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response. I have been able to resolve the critical issues on my computer by doing a full HDD recovery as I outlined in a post to Rozz33. But it is fortuitous that you joined this discussion when you did. One of the major problems I had after doing the HDD recovery, was that there still some BUG issues effecting my computer. A number of people told me to get rid of my Norton software as it is useless. At first I did not believe them, but after joining Daniweb and reading similar posts to mine, many people said the same thing. So I got my boss to have his technician have a look at my system and he scanned it with Mcafee and found 157 issues missed by my Norton software. Just to be sure, he did not repair those issues immediately, and re-scanned my computer with another security programme (I think it was Avast), again 163 outstanding issues showed up and were repaired. I was about to submit a refund request to Symantec this morning, but if you can convince me that my Norton Internet Security 2009 software is as good as the others and can find those other BUGS, (without me having to upgrade to another Norton product, I paid $88aus for mine), then I will not go ahead with the refund submission. Thankyou.

Puddlejumper.:?:

Hi Puddlejumper,

In regards to what other users say about Norton Internet Security 2009, if you read credible reviews of the product you will see that it has received great reviews and has scored very high overall compared to other comparable security products.

In response to the issue that you were having before you wiped your drive, it appears that your system had some problems prior to the installation of Norton Internet Security. Some infections will disable or corrupt your restore points which is why you were unable to run System Restore. The instructions I had posted about temporarily disabling the Product Tampering in Norton Internet Security is a workaround that is sometimes needed to restore the ability to run System Restore. Also, if critical system files were infected, no security software will be able to resolve that issue. Some Trojan and Worm infections, even if they are removed or quarantined, can compromise Windows in a way that your data will never be secure unless you reformat and reinstall Windows. The use of software the modifies the registry is not recommended as it can cause irreparable harm to Windows and using security software will not remedy the problem.

As to why other security applications found infections that were not detected by Norton Internet Security, this is usually an indication that Norton Internet Security was not installed, updated or functioning properly. Also, having other third-party, real-time security applications installed at the same time is known to cause conflicts, which can lead to false positives and also leave your system vulnerable to infection.

Thank you,
Mike

Hi Puddlejumper,

In regards to what other users say about Norton Internet Security 2009, if you read credible reviews of the product you will see that it has received great reviews and has scored very high overall compared to other comparable security products.

In response to the issue that you were having before you wiped your drive, it appears that your system had some problems prior to the installation of Norton Internet Security. Some infections will disable or corrupt your restore points which is why you were unable to run System Restore. The instructions I had posted about temporarily disabling the Product Tampering in Norton Internet Security is a workaround that is sometimes needed to restore the ability to run System Restore. Also, if critical system files were infected, no security software will be able to resolve that issue. Some Trojan and Worm infections, even if they are removed or quarantined, can compromise Windows in a way that your data will never be secure unless you reformat and reinstall Windows. The use of software the modifies the registry is not recommended as it can cause irreparable harm to Windows and using security software will not remedy the problem.

As to why other security applications found infections that were not detected by Norton Internet Security, this is usually an indication that Norton Internet Security was not installed, updated or functioning properly. Also, having other third-party, real-time security applications installed at the same time is known to cause conflicts, which can lead to false positives and also leave your system vulnerable to infection.

Thank you,
Mike

Thanks Mike,
As purchased the Toshiba A100 had Norton Int. Sec. 2006 and when I did the HDD recovery, this was restored as well. The weird thing is, after the other software cleaned the system, the old 2006 seems to be working fine. I've not yet reinstalled the 2009 at the moment, I'm running Registry Mechanic in conjunction with the 2006 software and this seems to be a reasonable compromise for me, without having to go to too much more expense. So far so good, I was really reluctant to go back on the web after what happened, but, every morning the auto scans on both prog's do their thing and all looks well so far. Thanks again and to everyone else who pitched in. You guys are great!:cool:
Puddlejumper

Thanks Mike,
As purchased the Toshiba A100 had Norton Int. Sec. 2006 and when I did the HDD recovery, this was restored as well. The weird thing is, after the other software cleaned the system, the old 2006 seems to be working fine. I've not yet reinstalled the 2009 at the moment, I'm running Registry Mechanic in conjunction with the 2006 software and this seems to be a reasonable compromise for me, without having to go to too much more expense. So far so good, I was really reluctant to go back on the web after what happened, but, every morning the auto scans on both prog's do their thing and all looks well so far. Thanks again and to everyone else who pitched in. You guys are great!:cool:
Puddlejumper

Hi Puddlejumper,

There are two things I want to let you know about using the older version of Norton Internet Security. First, if your subscription has expired, then you will not receive any more definition updates, which means that you may not be protected against the latest threats.

Secondly, all Norton products are sold on a subscription basis, and as long as you have a valid subscription you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. You can determine your subscription status by logging in to your "My Norton Account" at the link below.

My Norton Account

If you never signed up for a My Norton Account you can also contact our Customer Service department who can check on your subscription status.

Norton Customer Service

Thanks again,
Mike

Hi Puddlejumper,

There are two things I want to let you know about using the older version of Norton Internet Security. First, if your subscription has expired, then you will not receive any more definition updates, which means that you may not be protected against the latest threats.

Secondly, all Norton products are sold on a subscription basis, and as long as you have a valid subscription you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. You can determine your subscription status by logging in to your "My Norton Account" at the link below.

My Norton Account

If you never signed up for a My Norton Account you can also contact our Customer Service department who can check on your subscription status.

Norton Customer Service

Thanks again,
Mike

I understand. But tell me why, if I pay for a product, the subscription is only for a year. If I reinstall the 2009 package, from my last install it said I have 340-something days left. What happens when it runs out. I can't afford to buy new stuff every twelve months. I'm just a regular worker looking forward to my retirement very soon. This software should be good for the life of my laptop, which for me is going to be quite a while.

I understand. But tell me why, if I pay for a product, the subscription is only for a year. If I reinstall the 2009 package, from my last install it said I have 340-something days left. What happens when it runs out. I can't afford to buy new stuff every twelve months. I'm just a regular worker looking forward to my retirement very soon. This software should be good for the life of my laptop, which for me is going to be quite a while.

Hi puddlejumper,

You do have the option of purchasing a 2 year subscription from the Norton website as well, which will save you some money over a 1 year subscription. Norton Internet Security is created by Symantec Corporation which is a separate company from your laptop manufacturer. There are no computers that come with a lifetime subscription to Norton products.

As I had stated in my previous response, when your subscription expires you will no longer receive product or definition updates.

Since you have purchased the 2009 version of Norton Internet Security, you should definitely install it, as it contains many new and enhanced features over the 2006 version and it is always recommended that you have the latest version installed to keep your computer protected against the latest threats.

Prior to your subscription expiring you will receive a notification in your task bar advising you that you only have so many days left on your subscription. You may also receive an email notification as well. The notification will have a link that you can click on to see what update options are available to you at that time.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi puddlejumper,

You do have the option of purchasing a 2 year subscription from the Norton website as well, which will save you some money over a 1 year subscription. Norton Internet Security is created by Symantec Corporation which is a separate company from your laptop manufacturer. There are no computers that come with a lifetime subscription to Norton products.

As I had stated in my previous response, when your subscription expires you will no longer receive product or definition updates.

Since you have purchased the 2009 version of Norton Internet Security, you should definitely install it, as it contains many new and enhanced features over the 2006 version and it is always recommended that you have the latest version installed to keep your computer protected against the latest threats.

Prior to your subscription expiring you will receive a notification in your task bar advising you that you only have so many days left on your subscription. You may also receive an email notification as well. The notification will have a link that you can click on to see what update options are available to you at that time.

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you for your reply Mike. One question and you may think it's dumb, but though I've been using computers for years, with cad-cam and such, as of April this year, it is my first time on the internet. (Please don't ask why, it's a long stupid employer-employee story). So now I'm having to pay for my own connection, so I have to have anti-virus protection, fine. But as I understand, when my subscription expires, my Norton will still work, I just won't receive any updates. True?
Regards PJ

True. So if you only get hit by old viruses, you're laughing.
Avast. I depend upon it.

True. So if you only get hit by old viruses, you're laughing.
Avast. I depend upon it.

Thanks gerbil, my daughter says the same thing, she uses her HP laptop aboard a Navy sub and has all sorts of problems through the ADF network. Since she downloaded Avast, in conjunction with Registry Easy, Keira claims she has had nothing but smooth sailing***(pardon the pun).
PJ.

Thank you for your reply Mike. One question and you may think it's dumb, but though I've been using computers for years, with cad-cam and such, as of April this year, it is my first time on the internet. (Please don't ask why, it's a long stupid employer-employee story). So now I'm having to pay for my own connection, so I have to have anti-virus protection, fine. But as I understand, when my subscription expires, my Norton will still work, I just won't receive any updates. True?
Regards PJ

Hi puddlejumper,

The product will still work after your subscription expires, but you will be warned continually that your definition files and program files are not up to date and that you should renew your subscription.

Also, you will not be fully protected against the latest threats, as there are many new threats detected by Symantec every day, which is why the definitions are updated every 5-15 minutes. You will also no longer receive any program updates when your subscription expires.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi puddlejumper,

The product will still work after your subscription expires, but you will be warned continually that your definition files and program files are not up to date and that you should renew your subscription.

Also, you will not be fully protected against the latest threats, as there are many new threats detected by Symantec every day, which is why the definitions are updated every 5-15 minutes. You will also no longer receive any program updates when your subscription expires.

Thanks,
Mike

Ok, now I know people will think I'm dumb. But I'm still new at this Internet crap (two months!). To renew my subscription, you mean I have to pay again? I mean I paid almost ninety bucks for the software in the first place, it's only good for year??? That is the craziest, money grabbing scheme I've ever heard of. In my mind, something that you pay that kind of money for, should be good enough for at least a few years, so five or so. Now if I have to RENEW my subscription next year, what is it going to cost me? The same price as my original software purchase?
PJ:@

Yep. One would almost think that it would pay security companies to pay folks to write malware to keep the circle going. But they don't have to do that, there are enough misfits and individuals who do it for pay and pleasure. Anyway, it is a good argument for using free AV services.... there is not incentive then... :)

Yep. One would almost think that it would pay security companies to pay folks to write malware to keep the circle going. But they don't have to do that, there are enough misfits and individuals who do it for pay and pleasure. Anyway, it is a good argument for using free AV services.... there is not incentive then... :)

Thanks Gerbs. Everything is now squared away and shipshape. I followed the advice of younger smarter person in my family and since then, my laptop is running better than new. And thanks to all those who contributed, lets mark this one as case closed.
Thankyou
Puddlejumper.:)

Your lass is looking capable and involved there, pj.... trust her - seems like we all are. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.