I have an old computer which I use for a dedicated function that still uses Windows 95. It's run for years doing its specialized DOS stuff and I have no reason to bear the expense of an upgrade.

Recently my floppy drive failed and I can no longer transfer things between that computer and others which I need to do twice a week. It does, however, have an old usb port and I would like to try and use a dumb drive to xfer. However when I try and use it, it asks for a driver and I'm back to the old problem as I don't have one and have no way of installing one. I could use a CD I guess if I could find a driver for the USB stick).

I know I could install a new floppy but, again, I would prefer to avoid the expense and having to get to the computer to crack the case.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks to all who take the time to answer.

Alan

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

A cheap network card would do it. You can even get a USB to RJ45 adapter if you don't want to open the case up and it should come with a driver.

A cheap network card would do it. You can even get a USB to RJ45 adapter if you don't want to open the case up and it should come with a driver.

No network or phone lines where the computer lives ... the data has to be unloaded to some media and manually carried to the other site several miles away.

But thanks for the suggwetion ...

Does it perhaps have a cd burner in it? If not, there are USB versions available.

Is it a basic IDE 3-1/2"? If it is then you could just go to a computer store or recycling center and you might find possibly free ones laying around.

I'm pretty sure Windows 95 was available with USB support, the problem would be finding the drivers from the manufacturer of the flash drive, and that's true even with Windows 98 SE...I agree with MosaicFuneral. Find a computer repair place in the yellow pages and see if you can buy a used one.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.