What can happen to windows if your computer switches off without shutting down. I am having a problem with the power supply and it has switched off the computer a few times without shutting it down. Now I am not using the computer until the power supply is replaced.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Mostly, it seems to corrupt the data on the HD.
This usually fixable with chkdsk, but it should be avoided.
PSs are easy to replace.

I live in an area where power interuptions are common. So I have opted for a UPS to avoid problems. Power problems sch as this can also damage power supplies even when protected by a surge protecter or regulator.

What can happen to windows if your computer switches off without shutting down. I am having a problem with the power supply and it has switched off the computer a few times without shutting it down. Now I am not using the computer until the power supply is replaced.

Occasionally, won't harm much, but frequently will surely screw up ur HDD\RAM for the long term, as long as your not doing it intentionally it won't matter much bcoz there is not much u can do for power supply problems...

Occasionally, won't harm much, but frequently will surely screw up ur HDD\RAM for the long term, as long as your not doing it intentionally it won't matter much bcoz there is not much u can do for power supply problems...

Not so. Even once can can screw up your file system if a write process is accessing the disk.
Never, never do it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.