I have 2 Dell 1420's, both running under Vista Home Premium. One is a few months older than the other. I am running Borland C++ Builder Personal Version 6.0 on both of them. The older computer runs the c++ compiler flawlessly. On the newer computer, however, the debugger isn't working properly. When execution stops because a breakpoint has been hit, putting the cursor over a variable name does nothing at all. Also, when I put the cursor on an item in the component palette no hint is displayed.

I copied the Borland entire folder from the older computer (where all is well) and put it as is on the newer computer. Same result.

Is this a problem with the Vista environment or with Borland? I sorta vote for a Vista problem on the newest computer, but how do I fix it?

Jim Taylor

PS- You can email me directly at drivingiron@bellsouth.net.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think Borland C++ Builder Personal Version has always had some compatibility issues with Vista, but as I don't use it I don't know for sure, so don't quote me on it. For integrity I will assume you've ran as Administrator?

Is there a reason why you're not giving Code::Blocks or Visual Studio Express a try?

I think Borland C++ Builder Personal Version has always had some compatibility issues with Vista...

Yes, it has. Borland wants to install in Program Files, but it will not run under Vista from that location. It must be installed elsewhere. But - the big mystery is why it works on one computer and not the other.

Yes, it has. Borland wants to install in Program Files, but it will not run under Vista from that location. It must be installed elsewhere. But - the big mystery is why it works on one computer and not the other.

Installed it as Admin, Ran it as Admin? It shouldn't technically have any problems as long as it has the permissions, since once the permission is granted & ran as Admin it's essentially very similar to XP & earlier versions. Program Files is virtualized & the files that are tried to get written there without the right permissions will end up in a virtual folder stored elsewhere. (Usually <root>:/Users/<username>/AppData/Local/VirtualStore) still that doesn't really help much other than indicate a little to what is happening. I still think it's probably a permissions problem.

Re-iterating on my previous question, is there a reason why you won't/can't try Code::Blocks or Visual Studio Express?

Don't think you understand what is happening. I have two identical computers on which are (supposedly) the same operating system. A third party program, Borland, behaves differently on them. And yes, both were installed with me as administrator and run that way - I am the only one on.

You're right about that, I misread the OP, my mistake! :)

Interesting, I assume both comps have the same updates installed? Does 1 have the UAC on while the other off? Or do they both have the UAC on or off? I maybe barking up the wrong tree just I find permissions very fickle in Vista myself & with your description it does seem like it's something along those lines.

What have you tried? What were the results of those tries? Excuse all the questions since I'm not on the comp or anything it's hard to get an idea of exactly what maybe happening.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.