I created a website on IXWebhosting.com. I then set up ftp to a folder named "transfer". On my XP Pro computer I access it by:
ftp://66.116.193.2/ereddick.com/transfer/. It opens immediately (doesn't ask for the name and password I had set up). Then I choose "Open ftp site in Windows Explorer" in the Page dropdown. I can then drag and drop to and from the opened window. Works great. On my Vista computer, I get a login screen, but after I enter the proper name and password, I get the dreaded (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I have a client who needs to upload some files to this ftp. He is running XP Home and Internet Explorer (I don't know which version). He gets the same result as my Vista.

Help, anyone? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Why not just go to a DOS prompt in Vista and use the ftp command? If you type ftp /? it will list all of the commands. To get there, go to Programs>Accessories and select the DOS command prompt (which is the little C:> prompt in a black boxx

Did you leave your explorer session open while testing it on the other machines? Some FTPDs only allow a single session per user. Also try using the DOS FTP on the Vista machine and see if it gives you a little more details on what the error is:

C:\>ftp apex2006sql
Connected to apex2006sql.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (apex2006sql:(none)): abc
331 Password required for abc.
Password:
530 User abc cannot log in.
Login failed.
ftp>

How to use? I have the DOS ftp prompt, entered ereddick.com/transfer/ and was told invalid command. Sorry, but there are some definite gaps in my computerese!

Did you enter the username and password and did it say you were logged in? If you were able to log in with DOS and not in IE then you are looking at a browser issue.

C:\>ftp apex2006sql
Connected to apex2006sql.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (apex2006sql:(none)): ?????
331 Password required for ?????.
Password:
230-Hello From Aex Software Inc.
230 User ????? logged in.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
@@@ files will be listed @@@
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 39 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 39000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd school
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
@@@ files will be listed @@@
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 10 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 10000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> pwd
257 "/school" is current directory.
ftp>

Commands:
cd <dirname> -- change directory
ls -- lists the directory
pwd --- current directory
get <file> -- download
send <file> -- sends a file

Did you enter the username and password and did it say you were logged in? If you were able to log in with DOS and not in IE then you are looking at a browser issue.

In DOS I didn't get that far. What do I enter at the ftp> prompt? The ftp folder is ereddick.com/transfer/
It didn't like it when I just typed in ereddick.com/transfer/ at the prompt.

I showed you the command..

open up the DOS prompt and do this from the C:\> prompt, i.e.
C:\> ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

type: "ftp 66.116.193.2"
<press enter>
it will ask for your username, type it in
<press enter>
it will ask for your password, type it in
<press enter>
it will say login OK/FAILED. If you logged in type "cd /ereddick.com/transfer"
<press enter>

I showed you the command..

open up the DOS prompt and do this from the C:\> prompt, i.e.
C:\> ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xx

type: "ftp 66.116.193.2"
<press enter>
it will ask for your username, type it in
<press enter>
it will ask for your password, type it in
<press enter>
it will say login OK/FAILED. If you logged in type "cd /ereddick.com/transfer"
<press enter>

ok, thanks--small steps. I entered username when asked. When it asked for password the cursor just sits there. I type in the password but the cursor doesn't move.

Its not supposed to -- its hiding the password for security reasons. Just type it in anyway and it will work

ok, I got in. So, what could be the issue with the browser?

Use windows explorer instead of IE when navigating to the site initially. Start -- Run -- Explorer, hit the "<windows key>+E", or find a shortcut to it.

You have to go to view -- toolbars -- address bar (i think, hunt around and find the address bar in the menus) and type the FTP address in there. IE can download from FTP sites but not upload so you want to use explorer.

Thank you so much--I have learned a bunch today! Using windows explorer works like a charm!

I'm glad you have found a solution to your problem and good luck!

Please mark this thread as solved if your question has been answered.

I am waiting to be sure my client can get in using windows explorer. He is the reason I embarked on this whole endeavor in the first place.

Still waiting to hear from my client. I just went back to the Vista machine--it will let me in if I just enter ftp://66.116.193.2, and never asks me for a password or username. From there I could access any folder on the website--not good. If I entered the rest of it (/ereddick/transfer/) after the ip, I get a 550 error - no such file or directory. I don't have to resolve this, but the day may come when I need it.

Or download FileZilla. its a very good and free GUI client.

Got it by golly! Thanks so much. Where do I go to mark it solved? Saw it somewhere but can't find it now.

I'm not sure... I have never started a thread before. I'm sure it is down near where you type or under thread tools?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.