I would appreciate anyone who can help me with my installation problem. Back in January 2001, I ordered a Dell desktop computer with XP Home on it. This was only a couple of months after XP was launched I believe. In any case, the installation CD had no service packs yet. This is important. I have the first Epson color printer that Epson made. The drivers loaded onto the computer just fine and I have been using the printer even though I added the various XP downloads including SP1 and SP2. Unfortunately, I had a printer problem with another printer which was caused by the operating system. I worked with MS technical for about 11 hours over several days. The bottom line was that they could not fix the problem and suggested I reinstall XP and start over. I could not do that at that time. While trying to fix my printer problem, MS had me delete my Epson printer files as well. But when I went back to install them, I was not able to. In talking to MS and Epson technical departments, because of all the download fixes and service packs, the Epson driver (Windows 95) were no longer able to be installed. Again, I would have to reinstall XP.
2 years later bring us to now. I have just ordered a new computer with Windows XP SP2 (earliest edition I could get) but not loaded. My thought was to load my old original XP CD that had no service packs and could use my Epson printer again. Unfortunately, for some reason, the original CD was not able to be loaded. Windows setup kept stopping after it loaded all the files. So I noticed that my new CD SP2 was identical to my old one except for that the new CD had a folder called Service Pack. I investigated the folder and the 4 files were all connected with the service pack. I had a great idea. I copied the new CD files onto my hard drive and then pasted them all except the SP folder onto a CD and tried to run that for my installation. The CD was rejected and I rationalized that MS probably protected the CD from people that might make copied to sell. OK, I had a second great idea. I tried to cut the SP folder from the MS CD but was unable to do that as I was denied access.
So, here I am. Does anyone know how I can load my CD without the SP2 folder? I did have a thought of calling MS and seeing if I can purchase a new CD with zero service packs like I had for my other computer but I have a feeling I will not be able to as MS has stopped selling directly XP discs with even SP3.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I would appreciate anyone who can help me with my installation problem. Back in January 2001, I ordered a Dell desktop computer with XP Home on it. This was only a couple of months after XP was launched I believe. In any case, the installation CD had no service packs yet. This is important. I have the first Epson color printer that Epson made. The drivers loaded onto the computer just fine and I have been using the printer even though I added the various XP downloads including SP1 and SP2. Unfortunately, I had a printer problem with another printer which was caused by the operating system. I worked with MS technical for about 11 hours over several days. The bottom line was that they could not fix the problem and suggested I reinstall XP and start over. I could not do that at that time. While trying to fix my printer problem, MS had me delete my Epson printer files as well. But when I went back to install them, I was not able to. In talking to MS and Epson technical departments, because of all the download fixes and service packs, the Epson driver (Windows 95) were no longer able to be installed. Again, I would have to reinstall XP.
2 years later bring us to now. I have just ordered a new computer with Windows XP SP2 (earliest edition I could get) but not loaded. My thought was to load my old original XP CD that had no service packs and could use my Epson printer again. Unfortunately, for some reason, the original CD was not able to be loaded. Windows setup kept stopping after it loaded all the files. So I noticed that my new CD SP2 was identical to my old one except for that the new CD had a folder called Service Pack. I investigated the folder and the 4 files were all connected with the service pack. I had a great idea. I copied the new CD files onto my hard drive and then pasted them all except the SP folder onto a CD and tried to run that for my installation. The CD was rejected and I rationalized that MS probably protected the CD from people that might make copied to sell. OK, I had a second great idea. I tried to cut the SP folder from the MS CD but was unable to do that as I was denied access.
So, here I am. Does anyone know how I can load my CD without the SP2 folder? I did have a thought of calling MS and seeing if I can purchase a new CD with zero service packs like I had for my other computer but I have a feeling I will not be able to as MS has stopped selling directly XP discs with even SP3.

First off, don't revise your operating system to accomodate your printer, instead look for a newer driver for your printer that will run on you operating system. The big issue of changing your OS (not unless is a recommended windows update) is other devices might stop working.

Go to your printer manufacturer site and see if there are any newer printer drivers that will work with your present operating system. Down grading you OS to no services pack is more of hassle at the end, applying the service pack back will take forever to do. And remember if you are working with a newer PC or Laptop with SATA hard drives without the service pack, that can cause your PC or Laptop not to recognized your harddrive.

First off, don't revise your operating system to accomodate your printer, instead look for a newer driver for your printer that will run on you operating system. The big issue of changing your OS (not unless is a recommended windows update) is other devices might stop working.

Go to your printer manufacturer site and see if there are any newer printer drivers that will work with your present operating system. Down grading you OS to no services pack is more of hassle at the end, applying the service pack back will take forever to do. And remember if you are working with a newer PC or Laptop with SATA hard drives without the service pack, that can cause your PC or Laptop not to recognized your harddrive.

Thank you for your comments and I agree with them. I did not explain earlier, but I did talk to Epson and visit their web site regarding drivers. After Windows 98, Epson did not create any other drivers nor plans to. Regarding SP2, my plans were to install SP2 after I successfully loaded the Epson drivers. I have an update as I have spoken to Epson this morning and I found out that the ink that is used for my printer is now out of stock at Epson. Since it was used only for the printer model I have and being 14 years old, it will not be continued. My problem is solved for me. When I run out of ink I will be unable to use my printer. I will probably look at a color laser printer. Thanks for your support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.