I have a computer that is going weird on me. I need to get hte problem fixed. When a teacher tries to access a website, the error message pops up:
TOO MANY OTHER FILES ARE CURRENTLY IN USE BY 16-BIT PROGRAMS. QUIT ONE OR MORE 16-BIT PROGRAMS OR INCREASE THE VALUE OF THE FILES COMMAND IN YOUR CONFIG.SYS FILE

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I've never heard of this before. Windows 98 I take it? Win 9x is a 32-bit OS which, I believe, can handle 16-bit emulation to run old DOS programs.

Oh yeah, the OS is Win98

so did you try increasing, the THE VALUE OF THE FILES COMMAND IN YOUR CONFIG.SYS FILE

sounds like your running old 16bit programs do you guys have Novell for any reason?

so did you try increasing, the THE VALUE OF THE FILES COMMAND IN YOUR CONFIG.SYS FILE

Yup, you can bump the "FILES=" entry in config.sys, but man- it sounds like you're running some really old applications; I'd upgrade if possible.

Also, it would help to know:

-What browser (including version) are you using when the error occurs?

-Does it happen only for specific sites? All the time? Randomly?

-What other applications are you running at the time the error occurs?

Okay, let me see if I can answer all this...

-I don't know how to increase the value of the files (I looked at it and am not sure what to modify)
-No, this is not a Novell system. It is a Win98 (I know, old stuff)
-Browser: IE6
-It will happen when the wesite for K12 Planet is accessed.
-It only happens when a teacher has Outlook and e-Class (another teaching program) up

if it win98 frst edition the i would suddjest using IE5.5 and nothing higher

Hmm, here's a thought:

Is the error being issued from the server being accessed, or from a particular remote client machine which is accessing the server? If you get the errors when connecting from any client, the problem may be on the server side.
Is the server local, or is it hosted off-site?

Win98 itself shouldn't even use config.sys, so as cscgal said, the message is a little strange. Again, I'd look for legacy (16-bit; DOS/Win 3.1) applications; a utility like the System Info program that comes with Norton Systemworks can give you a very detailed summary of what 16-bit and 32-bit components are running on your machines.

I asked someone in the tech building what to do and they said to delete config.sys and autoexec.bat. So far it seems to have worked.

well i was more or less refering to novell being installed onto windows 98 novell 5.1 and lower ran on 90% 16bit programs

Oh...

Well, the problem has been fixed. Thanks for the help guys (and gals)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.