I am running Windows 98se. Some time back I had bought a USB webcam. It was working fine until recently when all of a sudden my USB controller in my Device Manager suddenly vanished without notice. I have tried installing the USB drivers many times now, but it is not working. When I plug in my webcam, Win98 does not recognise it and says that the device is not connected to the computer. I think one last option is to install a fresh Windows OS and then see if windows recognises the webcam and the USB controller in the Device Manager. Before doing this I would like to know if anyone has experienced a similar problem and whether there is an alternative solution to reinstalling windows. Has my USB controller on my motherboard been damaged for good?

We had a problem like that at my school awhile back.

Open up the case and trace the wires from the USB port (frontside or otherwise) to the USB headers on the motherboard and make sure they're all secure and in place. Other than that there's really no more I have to offer, but try it anyways. By some odd twist of fate I may be right for the first time in ....
ever.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.