I own a gateway lx6810 desktop. and it has crashed how do irestore it to factory default settings. ihave no acess to windows i have no backup disks how do i fix my problem?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is there no restore partition?

Does you computer crash at a specific moment? does it fail to boot?

Please let us know what the problem is, we maybe able to fix it. You should be able to create restore disks from windows if you did not recieve one when buying it.

I have to concur with Xlphos - we need more info on the issue.

Is it simply crashing after a period of time, or has it crashed to the point of complete boot failure?? What OS and OS build (ie, Home premium, or Ultimate, XP home or Pro??)

Does it have restore partition.

As mentioned, Windows does have the facility, but

• this won't help you in the case of total boot failure
  • if still able to boot but is crashing due to system instability, any process used to create a fresh recovery disk may well overload your system's current capabilities
  • Methods vary btwn XP and Vista

Have you contacted Gateway to see if they will provided you with a recovery disk?? Am surprised you did not get one on purchase of your PC, but so long as Windows is stored on a local (usually hidden) partition, should be little to no cost, as the sole purpose of a recovery disk is to allow your PC to boot from that partition as it would if you were booting fom a Windows install disk.

my os is vista and i believe that it is a boot failure .
ill describe what happens ok first i turn on my pc then the pc brings up system repair. it runs for ten to twenty mins then it say,s that it is unable to repair windows. windows is wiped off of my pc is there any way to restore factory settings through the dos command prompt?

my ppc never reaches windows it won't boot that far .

my os is vista and i believe that it is a boot failure .
ill describe what happens ok first i turn on my pc then the pc brings up system repair. it runs for ten to twenty mins then it say,s that it is unable to repair windows. windows is wiped off of my pc is there any way to restore factory settings through the dos command prompt?

No DOS method that I'm aware of (although someone else may know of one).

If you can get the OEM to provide you with a restore disc, it should load without Windows currently installed. Only other option I can think of is a retail copy and start from scratch. The fact that Windows has been stripped of really limits your options I'm afraid

EDIT: doing a little reading on your specific model.... glad I'm not in your shoes at present, cause if the info I'm digging up is correct, you got SCREWED!!

From what I'm reading, Gateway have locked down the HDD so that it can only be restored to factory-release with their own recovery DVD. Sounds like a fresh retail install has been blocked, unless you want to add a new drive in one of the external bays.

If Gateway can contradict this info, please let us know; I'm sure there are now a few others with this model now feeling a little worried... seems like madness to me and hope the info proves incorrect for your sake :S

thank you all for your help ill update this after itry the oem disk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.