i have a NEC NR-7900A cd drive and a samsung dvd rom SD-616, both just stopped working yesterday when i turned the comp on to burn a cd. I use an older version of musicmatch because im cheap, dl'd nero the other day and didnt work, wonder if this has something to do with it....anyway when i run add hardware to search for drivers, it says about the dvd drive "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" and about the NEC "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" what the hells going on can someone help me out here

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

Although the article pertains to Win 2000, I've seen the problem occur with XP as well; the fix described for Win 2000 works for XP.

Please note that although the article only refers to the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet registry subkey, I've had to apply the fix to the similar entries (if found) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x subkeys as well in order to make it work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.