I just had a new DVD drive installed on my laptop because it wasn't recognizing DVDs/CDs. It worked for a while, but now it's suddenly stopped working again--it just makes a weird clicking/whirring noise, and can't seem to locate anything I insert. I'm not completely computer illiterate, and I know how to play DVDs on just about any other computer, but MINE just won't play 'em.

I went to the device manager to see if it needed updating, but it says it's updated, and "working properly."

I open Real Player, and Windows Media, but neither one recognizes the DVD, either, and can't seem to find any plug-ins that'll help.

Gah. I'd be extremely indebted to anyone who can tell me where I'm going wrong, here... :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Will it play CDs?
These drives sometimes need to be connected more tightly. I'd take it back and have them reinstall it.

Does those DVD's work on another computer ?

Ok. What is its model? Is it Optiarc? I think it is a common issue for Sony products...

I went to the device manager to see if it needed updating, but it says it's updated, and "working properly."

That just tells you drivers are installed correctly and device is connected properly. Device Manager won't show if your DVD drive simply won't read the disks.

It may well be that the laser in the drive has become misaligned (not a common issue these days, but does still happen. Best bet is to take back to the store - the drive should still be under warranty, so they should either send off for repairs or replace it. If you crack open the drive to try and repair yourself, you'll void any warranty and be left replacing on your own dime.

Hello,

I was also having the same problem, If your DVD has been installed correctly and is showing in device manager and it is not reading any DVD or cd then the problem is with the laser(lens) part.If it is out of warranty then it will be better to purchase the laser part and install that.It is not difficult to install,you can get a lot of idea via pics of this from google.
But if your drive is under warranty then better to go to warranty center of the product and get it changed or repaired.

Hello,

I was also having the same problem, If your DVD has been installed correctly and is showing in device manager and it is not reading any DVD or cd then the problem is with the laser(lens) part.If it is out of warranty then it will be better to purchase the laser part and install that.It is not difficult to install,you can get a lot of idea via pics of this from google.
But if your drive is under warranty then better to go to warranty center of the product and get it changed or repaired.

The prob is, that often a new laser can cost more than a new drive, and can go hay-wire if misinstalled.

If your DVD's are read in other computers then you may hve to send the drive for repairs.My laptop aslo had the same problem

Any DVD or one particular DVD? You see where I'm heading. If it's just one particular DVD, wash it in warm soapy water and dry it with a lint free cloth (one that doesn't shed bits).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.