Hello , i am currently running Windows Vista in my laptop and i just received windows 7 from my friend. I want to know if i can install windows 7 without losing my vista , which mean make a partition in my hard drive and install the new operating system .

Please i want some hints about that .

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Two options:

Can partition drive (using Vista's Disk Management utility to re-size current OS partition and create second partion)

Or, you can run Win7 in a virtual hard-disk image, so no partitioning required. See here for a guide, but would bump up the image size to at least 32,000 if you really want to test (so long as you have the disk-space).

Am about to head out, but sing out if you need more advice or guidance. Am myself taking option one on both notebooks btwn Vista and Win7

A number of hard disk partition tools are available over the internet. Download one of them to create a partition on the hard disk and I don’t see any problem why you cannot have both Windows Vista and Windows 7 on the same hard disk.

Regards,

A number of hard disk partition tools are available over the internet. Download one of them to create a partition on the hard disk and I don’t see any problem why you cannot have both Windows Vista and Windows 7 on the same hard disk.

Regards,
ServicedotZtronics

Only problem there is that almost none of them are compatible with Vista. Why?? Because the in-built disk management tools kinda did away with them (including the ever popular Partition Magic, which I used a number of times in XP), as well as the fact that most mid-range systems now come with 2 partitions as standard

Hello guys ,

I really appreciate your advice concerning the vista and windows 7 .However , i am in deep problem now because my vista recorvery dvds are not working proprely.Therefore, i would like to know if there is any website to get windows vista image file ,which can work properly . THanks you guys :)

OK, need more info from you, before can set you on the right path.

What is actually not working? Are you trying to load the recovery from within Windows (which will depend on how the OEM has actually configured their recovery process) or are you trying to boot from the recovery disk?

If trying to boot from recovery, have you enabled the boot-from-disk in the BIOS (as is normally not enabled at time of purchase... god only knows why).

There sre methods of creating new disk image from Vista itself, so if the restore disk is in fact damaged, it's not the end of the world :)

Thanks for your reply . I think its my recovery dvds problem because when i insert them and boot from them its work .However, after it finish to install all the components then it goes to main screen, which stay all blue for many hours and nothing appear .I think its should be my dvds problems or i will try to get other vista image .

Can you guide me to any website or place where i can get new vista rather than getting recovery dvds thx

Hello , i am currently running Windows Vista in my laptop and i just received windows 7 from my friend. I want to know if i can install windows 7 without losing my vista , which mean make a partition in my hard drive and install the new operating system .

Please i want some hints about that .

Thank you

Yes jou can keep your vista.
But i would make a back-up if i where you.

Thanks for your reply . I think its my recovery dvds problem because when i insert them and boot from them its work .However, after it finish to install all the components then it goes to main screen, which stay all blue for many hours and nothing appear .I think its should be my dvds problems or i will try to get other vista image .

OK - can you run us through the issue in a little more detail. Your reference to Disks makes me think you have two disks for recovery, one being either Vista itself (or disk that allows Vista to install from hidden partition), and second disk for drivers and OEM utilities/applications.

A what point exactly does it fail? During the clean-up phase, establishing user account, or during second disk (ie, on installing drivers, apps etc)?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.