Hi, I'm new here, very frustrated, and about five minutes from having a stompfest with my computer.

My problem started when I was playing a game on my computer and it froze. I couldn't do anything so I restarted my computer by holding down the power button. It started up normally, came up to the desktop and started to load like it always does. I then noticed the icon that showed my wireless internet status didn't show up on the task bar. I waited another few minutes, still it never came up. So I opened the start menu to manually access my internet connection and my whole computer freezes except for my mouse. I have to use the power button to restart again. Same thing happened.

Third restart I decided to use Avast! to scan. I clicked the icon, the splash screen showed up, it ran its memory test, the screen disappearad and then... nothing. The program never showed up. I clicked the icon again, it did its memory test and the actual program pulled a no-show. The my computer froze again and I had to restart with the power button.

Next restart, I tried to run Malwarebytes. I selected the option for a full scan, it prepared itself then the computer froze again. I let it sit for an hour, hoping it was only a temporary stall rather the the epic freeze of death but it was still stuck in the same spot; nothing worked except the mouse. I restarted and tried the quick scan option but it froze yet again after about a minute into the scan.

I restarted again, this time trying safe mode. It continued to start for a minute before it shut down and told me it couldn't do it. I tried all the safe mode options, all with the same result.

I also tried to access System Restore but nothing seems to happen there either. That window also refuses to show up.

Now I'm not sure what what to do. I don't really want to recover my system, although I'm afraid I might have to. I was hoping someone would have some solution or thoughts on this. Anything would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
~Ashley

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What exactly is the message in Safe Mode ?

The message for safe mode is:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If previous start up was interuppted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what cause the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompts
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally"

All the safe mode options lead to the same message and the other two start up my computer and it eventually freezes. I also haven't installed any hardware recently and I don't remember installing any software, either.

Do you the XP Disc?
Because it seems you may have to do a clean re-install the OS.

Yes, I do.

I don't really want to wipe out everything if I don't have to.

I have learned that the 'freeze' isn't complete. If I have certain windows open and up on my desktop, I can still mess with them. I can even open files I can see on the desktop, although it sometimes takes a while for it to come up. The taskbar freezes and bigger programs/files freeze or 'search' for its content. I just ran chkdsk a little while ago through the command prompt (which I can bring up within the first minute and it continues to run after the rest of the computer 'freezes) and it said everything was fine. I have also brought up task manager (in the first minute) and it has continued to run normally for over 6 hours.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.