I have a new Acer PC that came with Vista Home Preium, due to our applications I need to downgrade from Vista to XP. I have downloaded the XP license to the desired PC but MS will not let me overwrite Vista to XP. I was told that I would have to re-image the
PC inorder to do this. Looking on-line I have as yet found a step by step process for re-imaging. Any help would be appreciated.

--B

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm not sure how you're going about this. Don't try and downgrade in Windows, boot from the Windows XP installation disk if you have one. Re-imaging would require you to have a PC image created with Windows XP installed.

You should check that XP drivers are available for your PC before you try anything.

u have any UBUNTU(linux) cd ??? boot from this cd as liveuser then format root drive then check it...best of luck

u have any UBUNTU(linux) cd ??? boot from this cd as liveuser then format root drive then check it...best of luck

Um, kind of a throw-away comment, as booting from any Windows disk gives one the same ability (under advanced options when selecting HDD or partition to install Windows to).

To the OP, will the applications you need to run work using the Compatibility tools built into Vista - could also use the likes of VMWare to install XP to a virtual disk, fully accessible right from within Vista.

My concern with trying to downgrade to XP is the trouble you may well have in finding XP drivers, especially with a notebook

The foregoing advice you've received is wholly sound. Downgrading is your last option provided you are sure drivers are available.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.