Ok.

my problem is that for a few month i had no monitor i just bought one connected it plugged in. i turn on my computer and the regular boot up starts up until the point where the log in screen and all i see is a blank screen(when i say blank i mean black) i can still see the cursor and move it around but nothing else happens
i would restart and go into the safe modes and the same thing happens jus a black screen but with a bigger cursor which is normal. and te last known good configuration does not change anything at all.

how can i fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Okay, have you tried plugging in the old minitor again?

There was a virus that I was seeing frequently about 3 months ago.

If you are using windows XP. Try to repair your installation.

If you still can't log in after this i recommend a reformat.
If you have data on it you need to save I can send you
a document on how to slave your hard drive to backup your
data.

To begin the Windows XP repair process, you will need to boot from the Windows XP CD.

1. Watch for a Press any key to boot from CD... message similar to the one shown in the screenshot above.

2. Press a key to force the computer to boot from the Windows CD. If you do not press a key, your PC will attempt to boot to the operating system that's currently installed on your hard drive. If this happens, simply reboot and try to boot to the Windows XP CD again.

The Windows Setup screen will appear and a number of files and drivers necessary for the setup process will load.

Toward the beginning of this process, a message will appear that says Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.... As long as you are doing a repair installation from a Windows XP SP2 CD, this step is probably not necessary. On the other hand, if you're installing from an older version of the Windows XP installation CD and you have an SATA hard drive, you will need to press F6 here to load any necessary drivers. The instructions that came with your hard drive or computer should include this information.

For most users though, this step can be ignored.

After the necessary files and drivers are loaded, the Windows XP Professional Setup screen will appear.

Press Enter to setup Windows XP now.

Note: Even though the second option is to repair a Windows XP installation, the Recovery Console is not the option we want. We choose to truly perform a complete repair installation a few steps from now.

The next screen that appears is the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen. Read through the agreement and press F8 to confirm that you agree with the terms.

Tip: Press the Page Down key to advance through the licensing agreement faster. This is not to suggest that you should skip reading the agreement though! You should always read "small print" especially when it comes to operating systems and other software.

On the next screen, Windows XP Setup needs to know which Windows installation you want to either repair or install a fresh copy over.

The single installation of Windows on your PC should already be highlighted. If you have multiple installations, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the installation that you are wanting to reinstall.

Since we want to repair the selected Windows XP installation, press the R key to continue.

Windows XP Setup will now delete the necessary system files from the Windows XP installation that is currently on your hard drive. This step usually only takes a few seconds and no user intervention is necessary.

Note: No data files like word processor files, spreadsheet files, music files, photos, etc. should be deleted during this process. Only system files that Windows XP is able to restore are being deleted.

Windows XP will now begin installing. No user intervention is necessary.

Note: The Setup will complete in approximately: time estimation on the left is based on the number of tasks that the Windows XP setup process has left to complete, not on a true estimation of the time it will take to complete them. Usually the time here is an exaggeration. Windows XP will probably be setup sooner than this.

During installation, the Regional and Language Options window will appear.

The first section allows you to change the default Windows XP language and the default location. If the options listed match your preferences, no changes are necessary. If you wish to make changes, click on the Customize... button and follow the directions given to install new languages or change locations.

The second section allows you to change the default Windows XP input language and device. If the options listed match your preferences, no changes are necessary. If you wish to make changes, click on the Details... button and follow the directions given to install new input languages or change input methods.

After you've made any changes, or if you've determined no changes are necessary, click Next >.

The Workgroup or Computer Domain window will appear next with two options for you to choose from - No, this computer is not on a network, or is on a network without a domain... or Yes, make this computer a member of the following domain:.

If you're installing Windows XP on a single computer or a computer on a home network, chances are the correct option to choose is No, this computer is not on a network, or is on a network without a domain.... If you're on a network, enter the workgroup name of that network here. Otherwise, feel free to leave the default workgroup name and continue.

If you're installing Windows XP in a corporate environment, you may need to choose the Yes, make this computer a member of the following domain: option and enter a domain name but check with your system administrator first.

If you're not sure, choose No, this computer is not on a network, or is on a network without a domain....

Click Next >.

Your PC will automatically restart and proceed to load the repaired installation of Windows XP.

The Welcome to Microsoft Windows screen appears next, informing you that the next few minutes will be spent setting up your computer.

Click Next ->.

Registration with Microsoft is optional, but if you'd like to do that now, choose Yes, I'd like to register with Microsoft now, click Next -> and follow the instructions to register.

Otherwise, choose No, not at this time and click Next ->.

In this step, setup wants to know the names of the users who will use Windows XP so it can setup individual accounts for each user. You must enter at least one name but can enter up to 5 here. More users can be entered from within Windows XP after the repair installation is complete.

After entering the account name(s), click Next -> to continue.

The first step after reinstalling Windows XP is to proceed to Windows Update to install all of the latest updates and fixes from Microsoft. The repair installation restored the original system files so any updates that you installed prior to this repair installation - including all service packs and other patches - are no longer installed.

Important: This is a necessary step to ensure that your repaired installation of Windows XP is secure and up to date.

i don't have the old monitor anymore it's broken
and i don't have the disk anymore. is there anything else i can do?
i can get a hold of one but not for a week or so..

try to use ubuntu or knoppix like live cd linux versions, they will boot without touching your hard drive, when you boot with them your drivers will also recognized automatically
then open firefox or any web browser and try to use an online antivirus scanner, housecall.trendmicro.com, i suggest this
if this not works pm me

Okay, have you tried plugging in the old minitor again?

Considering that he can see and move the cursor on the screen, this is NOT a faulty monitor. In fact, this is purely a software issue. If Last Known Good did not work, I'd suggest a complete reinstall of the OS.

One more suggestion is to try and restore your system registry from a backup. Follow instructions here

Not but although this sounds bizare your system installs its own drivers for monitors.

Most systems do install the monitor drivers, though they're mostly detected as a Generic PnP monitor. That works just fine too.

I know thus there may be a driver issue, as in the monitor requires it to have a specific driver and infact Windows belevies it to be a simple PnP monitor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.