So I've read many articles on how Vista's new desktop manager can put unnecessary stress on your graphics card, and decided to ask: is there a lightweight (read: better than Aero but easier on the graphics card) visual style for Vista? The ones I use seem to degrade performance by some measure.

Thanks,
altf2junkie

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

To be honest (as most GUI customisation apps tend to either use more sys resources - such as Window Blinds - or compromise security by tampering with core sys files), would be better of either making the switch to x64 or upgrading you vid-card (an this is coming from a former theme developer).

To be honest (as most GUI customisation apps tend to either use more sys resources - such as Window Blinds - or compromise security by tampering with core sys files), would be better of either making the switch to x64 or upgrading you vid-card (an this is coming from a former theme developer).

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I saw a decrease in performance with all the really cool and snazzy visual styles.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I am running x64 Vista? =D and I have halfway decent laptop graphics card - an ATI Radeon HD 3200. (Not ultrafast, but okay for a laptop).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.