I am using a Belkin 7230 wireless router and I have Vista on my laptop. I can only connect with local only access. I have tried uninstalling, re-installing, even got a replacement router on the chance it was a problem with the router. I have excellent signal, I just can't get it to connect with anything but local only, UNLESS I connect using the DSL cable and reset modem and router. But that only works for a short time, then it goes right back to local only. This is driving me absolutely nuts! Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It's not clear what you're saying. I read the following:

1/
If you connect directly to the DSL modem, you're fine with the internet.

2/
If you reset both modem & router and connect via the router it works but only for a short time before going to local only.

Is that both wired & wireless?
Who is the DSL service provider?
Did you trn the DSL modem off for at least 5 minutes to allow re-registration?

1. yes, if I'm connected directly, internet is fine. But i have to unplug both the modem and router and plug them back in, thus resetting them, before it actually connects to the internet.

2. After doing the above mentioned, I can disconnect the cable and the internet is fine for a while, but then it goes back to local only. Sometimes this happens within a few hours, sometimes not till the next day. I usually close my laptop without turning it off, and it goes into sleep mode. I don't know if this has any bearing on my problem.

3. My problem only exists with the wireless. My provider is Southeast Telephone, a local company.

It's not clear what you're saying. I read the following:

1/
If you connect directly to the DSL modem, you're fine with the internet.

2/
If you reset both modem & router and connect via the router it works but only for a short time before going to local only.

Is that both wired & wireless?
Who is the DSL service provider?
Did you trn the DSL modem off for at least 5 minutes to allow re-registration?

Again, your wording is slightly confusing, but I have read your words as meaning this:

1/
With router connected to the modem and PC wired to the router, internet works ALL THE TIME.

2/
With the PC disconnected from the wired connexion, the wireless connexion works for a while and then goes to local service only. If you then IMMEDIATELY go to wired, the internet works IMMEDITELY.

3/
At all times, your wireless signal is strong/reasonable and not dipping down.

The way I'm thinking is this.

If the router connects you at all times when wired, then a properly configured wireless section should work as well. So are any limitations being imposed?

1/
Are the LAN settings correct (page 41 of the user manual)? Particularly that the IP Pool start/end addresses are respectively 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.100 (if not 100 anything greater than the number of PCs you might connect via the router).

Also that the Lease Time is set to Forever.

2/
Is the wireless configuration correct (page 44 of the manual)? Particularly might there be a channel conflict between a DECT telephone in your house or nearby and the channel you are using for your wireless connexion?

Is there a nearby house in range with the same SSID name as yours? In other words, do two networks with the same name appear in your wireless list?

Have you got the Wirelss mode set to match that of your Wireless card and is everything set to auto-negotiate?

Have you experimented with Protected Mode ON if any of the above adverse conditions exist?

3/
When the wireless fails, can you confirm that the router's WAN light is ON as with the Connected light?

Cheers for now

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.