A few days ago I set up two new administrator accounts on my computer. Internet Explorer8 was not working properly in these two accounts, although Firefox was and still is. I also cannot publish a website in the new accounts, or access the Help file. The main account seems O.K. I uninstalled IE8 down to IE7 and the problem is not solved. It even seems worse. I would like to remove the user accounts, but am not confident of saving the folders and files in them. Can someone put me on the right track ?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I would like to remove the user accounts, but am not confident of saving the folders and files in them. Can someone put me on the right track ?

How many file would be in an acct you only created 2 days ago !??

If you are looking to save the Mydocucments files ,go to control panel ,users, and remove the acct ,you will be prompted to save or delete files ,

How many file would be in an acct you only created 2 days ago !??

If you are looking to save the Mydocucments files ,go to control panel ,users, and remove the acct ,you will be prompted to save or delete files ,

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't explain the whole situation. There were lots of files. Originally four of us were on the same account and this goes back five years. Having adventurous grandchildren around all summer made me feel it might be better to split the accounts and make one for them as well. I cut and pasted the owners' folders into C:/Documents and Settings from the original account and then created three new ones in Control Panel/User Accounts. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. I have now gone back to the original setup. It could be that because certain features did not work with the new accounts Windows needs re-installing. I counted 5 problems: Help files run with script errors, website won't publish, Yahoo only opens in Classic mode, the Yahoo I.D. picture deleted itself, some websites in IE7 open as blank pages.

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't explain the whole situation. There were lots of files. Originally four of us were on the same account and this goes back five years. Having adventurous grandchildren around all summer made me feel it might be better to split the accounts and make one for them as well. I cut and pasted the owners' folders into C:/Documents and Settings from the original account and then created three new ones in Control Panel/User Accounts. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. I have now gone back to the original setup. It could be that because certain features did not work with the new accounts Windows needs re-installing. I counted 5 problems: Help files run with script errors, website won't publish, Yahoo only opens in Classic mode, the Yahoo I.D. picture deleted itself, some websites in IE7 open as blank pages.

first thing that comes to mind is , go to start /run ,type in with out the quotes ,"scannow /sfc " , note there is a space between W and / , you may be prompter to inserts you winxp cd to replace missing windows system files

also a good tool to remove any crap files is found here !
www.ccleaner.com

first thing that comes to mind is , go to start /run ,type in with out the quotes ,"scannow /sfc " , note there is a space between W and / , you may be prompter to inserts you winxp cd to replace missing windows system files

I tried scannow /sfc and the message comes up: Windows cannot find scannow. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.(I did that) To search for a file click Start button and then click Search... I use Crap Cleaner every day, so it can't have missed anything within it's capabilities. Ah :) it's sfc /scannow That works...but unfortunately my computer man has kept the required disc. I have left a message on his mobile that I need it...

my dyslexia! sorry about that !

I can't exactly mark this problem as solved yet because he who said I would never need the XP discs is out of contact, but in a way there is a solution in that I am giving all accounts passwords on my other computer which works and on the problematic one we are back to the one account which doesn't throw up errors. That way little explorers won't be able to muck about with things they ought not to be touching :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.