I am trying a long distance help session with a friend who lost the file edit etc line in Outlook Express and now Windows Live has same problem. Any suggestions? IE 8, Win XP Home. Thanks

I am embarrased to say how simple this is to solve! I found it myself on a Mocrosoft Live Mail forum dated 2007. Merely hit the ALT key and the menu appears where it belongs.

Thank you for this! I just got the new Windows Live mail and couldn't figure out where that darn toolbar was and had tried and tried everything!! Then saw this and used the alt key and the toolbar appeared. I can't figure out how to "lock" it though - does anyone know? Also my Windows live mail doesn't look as good as the one's I see on the download page for it - no icons and nothing familiar - anyone know how to fix that? Thanks!!

A little update RE the previous post: I believe if you go to TOOLS on right side of page, click, scroll down to TOOLBARS and make sure there is a checkmark in front of Menu Bar, Command Bar, and lock the toolbars you may solve your problem.

is it file chooser is not a callable object in pygtk ?

I am a new Windows Live Mail user. I can't seem to find a way to get to "Tools", "Menus", "Options", etc. I need to change some settings, add a signature, etc. and have tried everything I can think of, including using the "Alt" key suggested previously. Help!

I want my old toolbar back (File,Edit,View,Favorites,Tools and Help). I tried this Alt key,but doesn't work for me. I have a new Dell Inspiron 17r Laptop with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail. When I hit the Alt key all that happend was I got a bounch of little boxes with letters in them. What is up with this. Any suggestions?

Jim

On a Dell Vosrto running Win 7 and Live Mail, in Live Mail, the ALT brings up the little boxes, but not one for Tools. (Only the 1,2,3, F,H,O,V, & S - no T)
There is no little option to the top right where I can get a dropdown option to show Tools.

Ideas?

Thanks!

On a Dell Vosrto running Win 7 and Live Mail, in Live Mail, the ALT brings up the little boxes, but not one for Tools. (Only the 1,2,3, F,H,O,V, & S - no T)
There is no little option to the top right where I can get a dropdown option to show Tools.

Ideas?

Thanks!

hi, you should have started your own thread,not tagged onto a old one , for best help. so if there was a tools icon ,what would you be looking in it for ,what is it you are wanting to do ,

hi, you should have started your own thread,not tagged onto a old one , for best help. so if there was a tools icon ,what would you be looking in it for ,what is it you are wanting to do ,

I want to 'turn on' images, and most advice is to use the tools icon.
Thanks!

I want to 'turn on' images, and most advice is to use the tools icon.
Thanks!

i don't see tools but if you click on the blue box shown in the attached file ,you will see options .then go mail and youll see what is most of what use to be in tools of outlook express, but i don't see turn on images,if you are talking about a signature image then it is there i think , as described in this link .
http://www.timeatlas.com/email/general/create_image_signatures_in_windows_mail_or_live_mail

i don't see tools but if you click on the blue box shown in the attached file ,you will see options .then go mail and youll see what is most of what use to be in tools of outlook express, but i don't see turn on images,if you are talking about a signature image then it is there i think , as described in this link .
http://www.timeatlas.com/email/general/create_image_signatures_in_windows_mail_or_live_mail

Thanks, Caperjack!

A lot of my emails have images and they all appear as empty boxes with the little red x's. I have turned on my signature and can click on the option in each email to view images, but it would be a lot easier to automatically turn on the images.

Doug

Thanks, Caperjack!

A lot of my emails have images and they all appear as empty boxes with the little red x's. I have turned on my signature and can click on the option in each email to view images, but it would be a lot easier to automatically turn on the images.

Doug

ok, i got it, mine works the exact same way .maybe just a new default way of doing it

ok, i got it, mine works the exact same way .maybe just a new default way of doing it

Thanks for trying!

your welcome

good news ,just found it .
Click the Tools menu,[that blue icon i showed in the image i added to other post ] click Options, and then click the saftey options.
security tab ,
download images .
uncheck the block images and other content in a html email.save and exit

apparently it default set to block images to avoid seeing images you might not like to see .

Yep, it was embarrassingly easy, hitting ALT was all it took. Thanks!

I want an edit file so I can use select all and delete all 3000 emails at once. I tried the Alt and that it did not help. all that came up were little boxes with numbers in them.I have file, home, etc, but no edit file.

i need an edit file on my menu bar so I can delete all 3000 emails at one time. I tried ALT and that did not help. All that came up were little boxes with numbers in them. I have a menu bar but all that is missing is the edit file. I need to be able to use select all to delete otherwise it will take all day to delete. thx

I have just downloaded Windows Live Mail 2012 and could not find "File edit etc... at the top of the page.Please advise how i can get this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.