I am having problems with my compac laptop. It wont boot so i put in win xp cd and went to recovery console. I then ran chkdsk but i get this message. specified drive is not valid or no disk in drive.
Any help from anyone would be grae.
thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

it seems that your hdd is not being detected..is it still under warranty? you can send it to your authorized service center..

or you can try to check at BIOS whether your hdd is being detected..press delete or either F1 during boot-up..not really sure about the key combination on how to go to BIOS on your laptop..
just try pressing those key...

Good luck!

it seems that your hdd is not being detected..is it still under warranty? you can send it to your authorized service center..

or you can try to check at BIOS whether your hdd is being detected..press delete or either F1 during boot-up..not really sure about the key combination on how to go to BIOS on your laptop..
just try pressing those key...

Good luck!

Its out of warrenty and i checked the bios it reads it .

That sounds like partition failure/NTFS corruption....

1. What lead up to you wanting to run chkdsk?
2. When you were starting the recover console did it ask for you to select the Windows installation/provide admin password?
3. Does your BIOS allow you to check the drive's SMART status?

That sounds like partition failure/NTFS corruption....

1. What lead up to you wanting to run chkdsk?
2. When you were starting the recover console did it ask for you to select the Windows installation/provide admin password?
3. Does your BIOS allow you to check the drive's SMART status?

The laptop crashed and i used win cd to get to recovery consoloe to run chkdsk. it never ask to select win installation just went to c:/ and i then typed chkdsk/r etc

Go in BIOS and disable AHCI or SATA mode. Should work after that.

Go in BIOS and disable AHCI or SATA mode. Should work after that.

When trying to reinstall windows i get this message

38155 MB DISK 0 AT ID0 ON BUS 0 ON ATAPI SETUP CANNOT ACCESS THIS DISK

If you switch to ACHI, 50% of the time you have to use a RAID controller; thus provide the windows installation with a actual driver... So floppy drive it is!
During the Windows setup you will see "Press F6 to use a third party RAID driver"; have that floppy ready and start pressing F6!
Select the appropriate driver at the driver selection screen and then the computer would have everything it would need to access that hard drive! So that means, if it still doesn't work, there is something going on with the hard drive....

Does your BIOS allow you to check the drive's SMART status?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.