Well, I have two computers using a linksys connection, with that connected to a 2wire internet gateway. Anyways, yesterday when I tried my other computer, I noticed the internet was working. I looked at the linksys thing, and noticed that the number which the cable was connected to for that computer was blinking. So I went to the back, and noticed that the area where it was plugged in was not lighted. I've tried restarting, switching cables but all it does is seem to blink, and the repair function doesn't work.
Any helps/thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What about another port on the linksys router/modem? Does that work with your PC?

Well I've switched wires, tried different ports but it seems it might be the computer... as it doesn't light up or the cables work for the other computer.

It wasn't clear from your first report what "it" meant - the router port or the PC port.

There's many things it could be and not a hardware fault. A setting may have gone adrift, like the device is disabled (see Device Manager).

So tell us more about the status of the ethernet port.

If your other computer is working fine on that same device than
their is a problem with that perticular computer or the cable .
Just connect your other working PC with that same ethernet cable and plug the other end of the ethernet cable in the internet device.
If that PC successfully gets connected from that ethernet cable and internet works fine ,then the NIC Card of the non-working computer must be faulty otherwise the ethernet cable is faulty.

I hope this is clear, just try this and get back with the results

If your other computer is working fine on that same device than
their is a problem with that perticular computer or the cable .
Just connect your other working PC with that same ethernet cable and plug the other end of the ethernet cable in the internet device.
If that PC successfully gets connected from that ethernet cable and internet works fine ,then the NIC Card of the non-working computer must be faulty otherwise the ethernet cable is faulty.

I hope this is clear, just try this and get back with the results

Didn't he say he'd done that in post #3?

He's not very clear, is he?

Ok,when you click on repair button on your local area network connection,what happens?Do you get any messege?

When you connect your ethernet cable at the back of your computer,do you see any green light turned on the NIC Card?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.