Yesterday, I went to take my computer over to an Ex of mines house for a little lan party with some friends. While it was shutting down, I accedentally unplugged it to early. I didn't think much of it, but when I got to my exs house to set up my computer, when I turned it on, I could only get to the "last known good config" settings page, and no matter what I chose off of that list, it would just restart itself, and not get any further than that.

Its a custom computer and I am running windows xp, and no i havent installed anything on it recently. No matter what I do, nothing seems to work. Please, if anyone could tell me how to fix this, it would help me and save me quite a bit of money! thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

well, i dont want to do that because it will get rid of everything I have. i also think i may have lost the disk anyways. Ive also tried the ctrl f11 thing, but it dosent bring me to the recovery options. does it not do this because it is a custom comptuer? what else should I try??

Hi,
First up, if you do a XP repair from your XP OS disk you will only lose the updates from windows. All you other programs should be OK.
If you can access another PC, download "BART PE, http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Barts-PE-Builder.shtml
run it , make a boot disk and take the boot disk home and see if you can fix tour problems from that.
If that fails, go and buy a new windows OS disk.

what kind of cd would you recommend for downloading that onto?

You just boot your computer with windows xp cd, it will ask for repair or installation, you choose installation <enter>, agreement <f8>, then it will automatically find your old windows xp installation, it will ask for repair or fresh installation, you choose repair. After that, it will do every thing for you.
Enjoy Windows XP.

Hi Inupyro,
A CDW or CDRW would be good ensure it is empty.

Hi saninfosys.com,
If you read the posts.........."Have you tried XP's repair mode? Here is a link with screen caps on how to repair XP. Scroll down to "How to Repair install" http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm"........"i also think i may have lost the disk anyways." You will see that what you offered is of no use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.