Don't know if this should be under this section or virus section but here goes...

Ever since a few days ago, my PC won't shut down, restart, log off, etc. No matter if I shut down from Start menu or from Task Manager, it doesn't do anything. I have to actually hold down the power button for my PC to switch off which I know isn't good for my computer. However, I noticed under Safe Mode, my PC shuts down perfectly. Any suggestions?

P.S. - I ran a few virus scans but nothing seems to help my situation. I also haven't downloaded any new major hardware/programs.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Shutdown problems can certainly be the work of spyware and the like, but it's also just as likely the result of (non-malicious) software conflicts or corruption.

Let's see if the system is leaving any "suicide notes": Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through the system and application logs for any errors, warnings, or other messages which might point to the source of the problem. If you find any such messages, post their complete and exact contents for us please.

Well I think the problem has been fixed accidentally, but I have been receiving errors about device drivers not working properly. In the Event Log there has been about 25-30 errors stating that the attempt to power off my PC failed. Other than that, there hasn't been any other types of errors that bring attention expect this system error:
"Error code 1000000a, parameter1 e56c6946, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804dc11d.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
I will look at the website for more information. Thanks for your help and reply.

SO the problem has cleared itself up somehow?

I honestly don't have any idea how except, before, I ran a virus scan but nothing came up. And then yesterday I was able to shut down again. I even did a system restore two days ago and it shut down after that but I had to undo it because some of my programs were gone. But do you have any idea what's wrong with these device drivers? I remember updating them about a month and a half ago and even then I was still getting errors about them. Thanks

But do you have any idea what's wrong with these device drivers? I remember updating them about a month and a half ago and even then I was still getting errors about them. Thanks

You would have to tell us exactly which drivers were giving you errors, but if you can do that it's pretty likely that we can help.

Wow, I have no clue which drivers are causing the problems, but if I get another error, I'll look and post it in a new thread if that's ok. Thanks for all your help.

i have tried holding down the power button but it does not work becuase when i switch my computer back on it just pulls uo the same screen. i just installed imvu and this window had come up for it and i havent been able to close it or shut down or log off etc. please help!

The events list says that Application, System, ACS, ODiag, and OSession all say they have an error how do i fix this.

The events list says that Application, System, ACS, ODiag, and OSession all say they have an error how do i fix this.

use a big flat head screwdriver tape it twice on the monitor and reboot

actually it depends on what it says the error are

She breaks the screen, she knows who to blame. :)
Rule 1. Don't look in Event Viewer unless you have a problem.
Rule 2. Dclick the error to read tha actual fault [module, code....] and google it.
Rule 3. Give us the detail.
EV will report an error on mundane stuff, like Security : your AV didnot/couldnot update on the first try. And so on. Or a DNS ignored a request, perhaps cos it was busy...

She breaks the screen, she knows who to blame. :)

if they actually that and break the screen ,they can have my monitor .loq

use a big flat head screwdriver tape it twice on the monitor and reboot

do what

do what

nuttin ,it was just a joke ,sorry

we need more info than you gave in your first post

nuttin ,it was just a joke ,sorry

we need more info than you gave in your first post

I dont know whats going on my computer wont shut down unless i press and hold down the power button. and when i checked the event list on the administer tools and it said all the setting had an record error.

Twice now, my PC hasnt shut down properly - it just hangs on 'shutting computer down' and doesnt do anything until I hard shut it. Checked the systems views/event viewer and have found this;

Applications;
Error 5/09/12 - 10:17pm - System.ServiceModel.install 3.0.0.0 - none 0 N/A
Warning 5/09/12 - 10:15pm ASP.NET 2.0 50727.0 - Setup - 1020 - N/A
Error 5/09/2012 - 10:13pm System.ServiceModel.install 3.0.0.0 - none 0 N/A
Warning 4/11/2012 - 7.36 - ASP.NET 2.0 50727.0 - Setup - 1020 - N/A

System;
Warning - 5/15/2012 - 10:37pm - Disk - None - 51 - N/A
Error - 5/15/2012 - 8.32pm - sr - None - 1 N/A
Warning - 5/12/12 - 5.29pm tcpip - None - 4226 n/a
Error - 5/12/2012 1:10pm - sr - None - 1 N/A

Can provide further logs if needed...

I use windows xp.

I would really appreciate some help!

Many thanks

Python Girl, i think there are too many applications running on ur system and they need time to shut down properly... And probably, ur system is just overloaded beyond its optimum capacity... Could u tell us about your Computer Specs ?

Of course;

E8600 C2D 3ghz
XFXnForce 780i motherboard SLI
XFX nVidia 260 GTX 896mb
3gb DDR2
500gb SATA hdd

Many thanks,

Run these disk cleaners/checkers:
1) CCleaner
2) Glary Utilities
3) Wise TuneUp
and then run Microsoft update (not just Windows update - see Change Settings in left menu)

7 year old thread... yeah...

Could have done with starting a new thread. ;)

I just started having an issue with shutting down my computer as well. I shut it down once and closed the lid to quickly so I didn't realize it was asking permission to shut down an application and since that time it won't shut down. I looked for errors in the event log and there is nothing reported since I've started having this problem. So I tried using ctrl + alt + delete to bring up that menu which allows me to see which programs are running and it's not doing anything. I have an antivirus program on my computer and it found nothing during a scan. I'm not terribly worried, I know I can just hybernate it but I still hope to find out and fix whatever the issue is. Oh, and it's a dell computer using Windows 7.

Wait wait wait.. couldn't you just let your computer die, then charge it. o-o

go to run command then type msconfig, then locate start up and click uncheck all. click ok and restart.

I have Dell optiplex 755 system.For the last few days my pc wont shutdown but monitor goes dark and sometimes it shut down

I am having the same problem with my computer not shuting down. I loked at the event viwer and found the following errors: 2 Kernel-EventTracing, 3 Kernel-EventTracking, 20 WindowsUpdateClient, 100 Bonjour Service, 315 PrintService, 1001 Dhcp-Client, 2001 Microsoft Antimalware.

Im having the same problem with my computer ive run scans in safe mode, and done a systeme recovery in safe mode, but there is still no difference. It wont do a system recovery if its not on safe mode, when i try to control panel freezes and will not let me close it, this happens with other applications to. I dont know what to do anymore, and I don't want to set my computer back to maufactured settings beacause last time i did that i had to rebuy microsoft word,bitdefender, ect.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.