Hello

I have been given 3 rar files of win 7 beta, I have a license number to register it. However I am unable to open it into a bootable form. Does anyone have any ideas how to open this please?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Hello

I have been given 3 rar files of win 7 beta, I have a license number to register it. However I am unable to open it into a bootable form. Does anyone have any ideas how to open this please?

hi, a rar file is a compressed file format so you first have to unzip the files ,then burn the unziped files to dvd , look on the net for a program called winrar to unzip them

Hello,

Product keys are still avaliable Windows 7 RC Prod Key. All you need is a hotmail/live account and is free. The RC lasts longer than the beta.

Hello,

I think you can still download the Windows 7 RC. All you need is a hotmail/live account and is free. The RC lasts longer than the beta, It may take some time to download though.

Did you even bother reading that site? Its no longer available to download.

Just noticed now.

If you know someone who has the RC you can still get the product key.

Burn it to a CD and load from CD♠

Hi
Well thank you to all who have contributed, I unzipped it then burnt it to a disk, but forgot to make the disk a bootable disk. So I will need to get another pack of disks today then try again. I will let you know what happens. Again thank you.

Just bought a new laptop and can't wait for 20 October to get my copy of Windows 7. Will let you guys know how it goes?

<snipped "fake" signature. Please only put signatrure links using the signature function in your user control panel. See the rules and FAQ for more info.>

Just bought a new laptop and can't wait for 20 October to get my copy of Windows 7. Will let you guys know how it goes?

I have a laptop with windows 7 but decided to downgrade it to Xp because there's a lot of applications that can't be opened in Win 7. :(

I have a laptop with windows 7 but decided to downgrade it to Xp because there's a lot of applications that can't be opened in Win 7. :(

XP is dying its death... its h/w support and security record sucks. wont be supported for much longer either.

Actually, MS will continue support for Xp through April 2014.

Article here;

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208800494

Yeah but there is a difference between MS saing they will support it, and them actually supporting it. Also, developers tend to move away.

Windows 2000 is still supported but has no IE7, no security centre etc..... rendering it unusable from a security standpoint.

Windowss NT was supported until 06, at which point ms declared it could not be fixed becase its security was inherently flawed... (it was out for 10 years, the same as XP would be around its EOL) also newer MS products like office 2010/12 may not run on XP (office 2002/3 didnt run on NT4, 98 or ME, which were supported at that time)

i have a office 2010 evaluation copy running on winxp sp3.

also got my signed copy of win7 ultimate today free for hosting a win7 launch party .now to buy something worth installing it on
http://www.houseparty.com/party/175337

Windows 7 does have software called XP Mode for programs that still need XP. It runs as virtual software and is available from the MS site.
A quick search will get a lot of info.

Windows 7 does have software called XP Mode for programs that still need XP. It runs as virtual software and is available from the MS site.
A quick search will get a lot of info.

yeah i know, Sadly no good for me thouh. I have the original CoreDuo in my laptop and it doesnt have HW virtualisation or 64 bit :(

Yeah but there is a difference between MS saing they will support it, and them actually supporting it. Also, developers tend to move away.

I agree with developers moving away as they have already and I doubt seriously if they'll come out with another service pack in the next 4 years, but I don't see where MS has much choice but to support it as is, considering the fact that so many companies and especially health care professionals that are still using XP.

and I doubt seriously if they'll come out with another service pack in the next 4 years

They will do exactly what they did with NT4 and Windows 2000 and release an SRP instead.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.