I'm trying to establish a video link with my son. We're both on ntl world broadband and have XP professional.
Using netmeeting I can see him, he can't see me only my flower icon.
I can't hear him but he can hear me. Any tips?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I'm trying to establish a video link with my son. We're both on ntl world broadband and have XP professional.
Using netmeeting I can see him, he can't see me only my flower icon.
I can't hear him but he can hear me. Any tips?

It may have to do with your firewall/security settings. You can also try the Yahoo! Instant Messenger and see if it works for you -- that has video chat, as well.

Many thanks tallcool1. Will investigate at earliest.

Also i personally don't like Net Meeting. I would use MSN Messenger!

You would also need to adjust your firewall to use the webcam / microphone features in MSN Messenger, just as you would with netmeeting.

Also i personally don't like Net Meeting. I would use MSN Messenger!

MSN Messenger requires registration with Microsoft Passport (you can give a fake name, though) and everything passes through MS servers, a serious privacy risk. NetMeeting is peer-to-peer and offers interoperability with GnomeMeeting under Linux -- two reasons why it's deprecated by Microsoft (GnomeMeeting works under KDE, too).

After receiving excellent advice to cure my videolink problem I wonder if anyone can advise on the best recordable DVD to buy. I understand there are several incompatible systems. I currently have a MEDION MD 4310 DVD player. This unit will play 12 or 8 cm
single sided/single layer, single sided/dual layer, double sided/single layer, DVDs.
That is I presume CD-R+CD-RW+MP3.
Don't they usually have a TV tuner?

After receiving excellent advice to cure my videolink problem I wonder if anyone can advise on the best recordable DVD to buy. I understand there are several incompatible systems. I currently have a MEDION MD 4310 DVD player. This unit will play 12 or 8 cm
single sided/single layer, single sided/dual layer, double sided/single layer, DVDs.
That is I presume CD-R+CD-RW+MP3.
Don't they usually have a TV tuner?

When you say "recordable DVD" do you mean a stand-alone device, or a drive you add to your PC? Right now there are no true VCR-replacement stand-alone DVD recorders that I know of. This may change soon, as a couple of manufacturers are looking at TiVo-like recorders that will include DVD-recording capabilities. HP does make an external DVD-burner that connects to a PC via a USB 2.0 port and has a video input.

If you mean a computer dvd burner ,not sure what one is the best ,if you mean recordiable media ,you will need to buy the type you burner need like +R or -R format or you burner may use both ,newer burners usuall burn either format .

Home TV system recorders here and they use DVD-Ram disk with the ability to record over and over on the same disk .
http://www.dealtime.com/xPP-DVD_Players-DVD_Players-dvd_recorder

And Ram disk .
http://www.unleash.com/picks/computer/topcomputerdvdram.asp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.