Hi all ! My pc used to have a habit of of ocasionaly getting stuck at the motherboard logo on startup, and would not go past the logo and on to boot. The problem was usualy solved by a simple re-start, using either the start button on the front, or the re-set button below it. Sometimes it would take six or seven re-starts to get it to move on to boot-up, and other times just once or twice. Well ! now it won't go past the MB logo at all. Everything seems to be working ok apart from that. Any Ideas ????

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

When was the last time you cleaned it out? Dust bunnies.

Ok, I solved the problem !!! It was the wireless unit ! That little thing that sits there and recieves the signal from the wireless router and sends it into the USB port. It seems it has a problem my pc does not like and therefore will not boot-up. As soon as I unplugged it, the pc booted as normal . Go figure !! I would be interested to know if anyone knows why this occured, and if anyone has come across this before ?

Hi,
I am sorry but I can not see how removing that type of hardware would have any effect on the PC not passing the manufactures splash screen. I could see it going in to the loading of Windows and then freezing or just not going anywhere and being fixed by removing the software for the hardware, not just unplugging the hardware. That is, assuming that it was working before.
I could be wrong but I think that it is just a coincidence that it is now working after you disconnected the router. Especially as you only unplugged the router and not uninstalled it, therefore, the drivers for the router would still be loaded.

Hi,
I am sorry but I can not see how removing that type of hardware would have any effect on the PC not passing the manufactures splash screen. I could see it going in to the loading of Windows and then freezing or just not going anywhere and being fixed by removing the software for the hardware, not just unplugging the hardware. That is, assuming that it was working before.
I could be wrong but I think that it is just a coincidence that it is now working after you disconnected the router. Especially as you only unplugged the router and not uninstalled it, therefore, the drivers for the router would still be loaded.

You are right Bob. On further investigation, it seems the problem happens if I plug into ANY USB port. Therefore some setting must have changed (in the bios ?) . I used the system restore and took the pc back four days. This seems to have solved the problem.

Good to hear, please mark this thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.