Folks,
Having managed to get VB6 installed on Windows 7 without too many problems, I'm struggling to get OCX's to register.
I have created a simple user control (on my other PC - XP Pro) and it worked fine on this machine in runtime and design time.
I have now copied that project to the Windwo7 PC and the ocx will not register. When I rebuild the OCX I get the error msg: Error accessing registry.
This implies I cannot even create user controls / OCX's in VB6 on Windows 7.
Strange thing is when I create an MSI installer (on the XP machine) and install the program on a Vista or Window7 PC it works fine.
It appears the controls work in run time, but you can't use them in design time aaaahhh.....
Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks

Patrick

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What OCX file are you having issues with?

Is this machine x64 or x86? Have you tried running as administrator? Have you tried creating a COM package for your OCX? Can you check permissions on this COM package?

Folks,
Having managed to get VB6 installed on Windows 7 without too many problems, I'm struggling to get OCX's to register.
I have created a simple user control (on my other PC - XP Pro) and it worked fine on this machine in runtime and design time.
I have now copied that project to the Windwo7 PC and the ocx will not register. When I rebuild the OCX I get the error msg: Error accessing registry.
Strange thing is when I create an MSI installer (on the XP machine) and install the program on a Vista or Window7 PC it works fine.
It appears the controls work in run time, but you can't use them in design time aaaahhh.....

Thanks

Patrick

It's an X86 machine, I am running as administrator and I tried registering with and without UAC.
The issue is I can compile this OCX and register it in XP, but not in Windows 7.
If I add the user control to the project and compile it, no problem. I just cannot compile the user control as an OCX.

use regedit to see what permissions are set for the sub-key where you want to create a new key. You might not have permissions to do that.

I downloaded Process Monitor (used to be known as RegMon by SysInternals) and found the key wihhc had 'Access Dened' against it was HKCR\TypeLib\{long guid no}
I have compared the permissions in XP to those in Win7 on the HCCL\TypeLib key and the difference is that XP has CREATER OWNER set to 'Special Permissions'. I cannot set this in Win7, so I am suspecting that this is possibly the error, but I don't know what the fix is. Here's a link to a screen shot of Process Monitor http://www.mpssoftware.co.uk/progs/ProcMon.jpg

Patrick

Folks,

Thanks

Patrick

I am having the same problem and have tried all suggestions found on other sites. It was sad not to see a solution to our problem.

Re: Register mscomct2.ocx on windows 7 32 bit

i got this by run the cmd (run as administrator) then
c:\windows\system32> regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

the file registered.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.