A couple of nights ago I opened a video file with winamp, which told me that I needed to download a codec to watch said file. So I downloaded the codec and clicked Run (not Save) and suddenly my comp BSOD's on me and shuts down. I dunno if this is important, but I was also extracting a .rar file with WinRAR at the time.

What's happening now is that my comp boots, then I get the "Windows did not start successfully....Boot in Safe Mode, Last Known Good configuration, etc." but it restarts everytime I'm supposed to get to Windows, no matter which option I pick. The loading screen for Windows DOES show, but I get the BSOD when I'm supposed to have Windows.

Can the situation still be salvaged? I don't want to have to pay through the ass for a reformat...

System Specs:
CPU: Pentium Dual Core, forgot clock speed
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8400
RAM: 2 GB
Hard Disks: 2, with 2 partitions each = 4 partitions

Also, I'm thinking since the problem is only with Windows, can I try installing Windows on a separate partition to back up my files at the very least before reformatting? I lost my XP CD a few months back..

Hi,
Before you think about reinstalling windows or even doing a windows repair from your windows CD try repairing it from the repair console.
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
4. At the command prompt, type chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]
drive: = This is the drive letter of the partition you want check for errors.
/p = This option instructs chkdsk to perform an extensive check of the drive and correct any errors.
/r = This option instructs chkdsk to locate bad sectors and recover any readable information from them.
Note: When using this option, the /p option is implied so it's not necessary to use it in addition to /r.
Chkdsk Command Examples:
chkdsk
In the above example, since no drive or additional options were entered, chkdsk simply displays the status of the current drive.
chkdsk c: /r
In this example, the chkdsk command is used to perform an extensive check of the drive to correct any errors and to locate any recover information from bad sectors.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.