Hello there,
I have Windows 98 SE and I'm having a problem defragging. It gets to 46% and then takes 2 hours to get to 47% and then freezes and will go no further. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had come out of everything through Ctrl+Alt+D, just leaving 'Explorer and System Tray'. I had also switched off the broadband modem.
Many thanks
Mary (Scotland) :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I meant to say that I had this problem once before and someone advised me to used powerdefrag but when I try to use it again it says my 'trial' has expired.
Mary

Reboot. Press the <F8> key before the Windows Logo screen displays and choose 'Safe Mode' from the menu. You might need to repeatedly tap the <F8> key from the momory check onwards to get the timing correct.

When you're in 'Safe mode' run defrag from there. When it's finished reboot as normal.

I had already booted up in 'safe mode' and defragged again but it still got stuck half way through.
Mary (Scotland)

If that behaviour is occuring even in Safe Mode, there's a good chance that you have physically corrupt sectors on your hard drive.

Drive manufacturers often have low-level utilities which can download and run to test a questionable drive. Find the make/model of your drive and see if such a utility is avalable for it.

If that behaviour is occuring even in Safe Mode, there's a good chance that you have physically corrupt sectors on your hard drive.

Drive manufacturers often have low-level utilities which can download and run to test a questionable drive. Find the make/model of your drive and see if such a utility is avalable for it.

:) Hello there,
I tried a few other things and put the Scan Disk through again and then defragged again with a 100% result. Many thanks
Mary (Scotland)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.