I have a windows xp machine that reboot whenever it gets past the starting windows xp logo. I have tried running chkdsk /r but with no success. Can anyone help me with this.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Can you start your computer in safe mode ??

No it does not boot in safe mode.

No Safe Mode, eh? Not good.

Can you go back to "Last known good configuration"?

i've tried last know good configureration too but it still restarts. But i have put the hard drive in another machine as the slave drive and i can see the files on it, so i think i will just backup the files and reformat.

Try repairing windows from the windows cd...

Try repairing windows from the windows cd...

Yes, that would be the next step before reformatting. Even if you go that route, you should still back up your data first.

If reformatting isn't a big deal though, you might just want to do that; the Windows "repair" process is far from perfect.

I tried running Fixboot and Fix /mbr and chkdsk /r from the Windows XP CD and it still failed. This morning i backed up the files and reformatted the hard drive and now it is working fine. Thanks for the advice folks.

I tried running Fixboot and Fix /mbr and chkdsk /r from the Windows XP CD and it still failed. This morning i backed up the files and reformatted the hard drive and now it is working fine. Thanks for the advice folks.

I have the same problem. What is the best way to back up your files before reformatting. I am very unfamiliar on how to do that and what files need backing up.

gatnus@optonline.net

Hi gatnus,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.