friends!
I have acer aspire one, and using XP home edition OS. RAM is 1 GB dd R3 .

now my problem is that I have very slow speed, Is there any body can tell me howz this happening with me. Or is there any way to increase my speed.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,
Please give a little more information. What is the slow problem, booting, normal running, downloading from the net, coping or everything?
Have you loaded new software or installed new hardware recently?
How long has it been slow? Did it happen all of a sudden or just slowly get slower? The more information you give the better chance of someone giving you a good answer.

Hi,
Please give a little more information. What is the slow problem, booting, normal running, downloading from the net, coping or everything?
Have you loaded new software or installed new hardware recently?
How long has it been slow? Did it happen all of a sudden or just slowly get slower? The more information you give the better chance of someone giving you a good answer.

hmm you are right..
Dear my laptop is daily going slower slower. its happening almost from last 2 months. booting normal. running very slow day by day. downloading is also slow even browsing is also very bad. I have dsl n in home all PCs and laptops are running in good internet speed but only mine laptop having bad internet speed. one more problem my wirless icon is oftenly disappear and when I am again trying to reconnect it properly disabled thank God to deep freeze that when ever I face this problem I just restart my laptop and my settings would resolved. in softwares I am just using my study related softwares like pdf reader, ms office , real player for taking my lecture videos. and deep freeze for secure my C drive. and 3 messengers yahoo and gtalk , n skype ,, one antivirus avira nothing else is installed here in my laptop. 1 more software which I am using that is speedbit .
if you want more information then you may ask i ll give you proper information. becuase I am very tensed about my laptop , its only source of my studying. I am online student.

OK, there a thousand + sites out there that will tel you you need to clean your registry, it may have a small effect but there are many things you can do first.
As you would know set deepfreez to boot unfrozen and reboot. Open your "My Computer and right click on your drive (if you have more than one repete these actions on each drive) Click "Properties" In this window click on "Disc Cleanup" and allow it to complete. read the list "Cleanup" wants to delete and if you are happy click "Yes" or "OK" whatever it is. After that is complete, click on "tools" and then "Check now" Put a check mark in the two boxes and click "Start. Your PC will have to be rebooted to check so allow Windows to reboot. Let it finish checking 5 of 5 and it will reboot. Open the same window again and this time click on "Defragment now" select your drive and click 'start" allow Windows to fully finish before you start anything.
Reboot and go "Start" "run" and type "msconfig" without the " ".
Click on the "start up" tab and see what programs are running at boot up. Any programs that run will slow down your boot up time and use memory that could slow your other programs. Any program that you no longer want, delete from "Add and remove programs" in the "control panel" any you do want but do not want running, open the program and change the preferences to not start at boot or windows. While you are in that window, change the 30 (in a box) to 3, that will boot your PC 27 seconds faster.
There are many other minor fixes for making your PC run faster but even a lot of them applied will not make much difference. If you want, search the internet for speed up fixes, but if you are ever going to touch the registry or make major changes, be sure to back up the registry and create a restore point. remember, you have "Deepfreeze" disabled and it will not go back as it was. The next best way to speed up a PC is to do a clean install but that requires you to save all your data, format your hard drive and after reinstalling windows, downloading and installing every SP, hotfix and update since your OS CD was produced. If after all this you still have trouble with your icon, do a SFC. Search the net if you don't know how.

OK, there a thousand + sites out there that will tel you you need to clean your registry, it may have a small effect but there are many things you can do first.
As you would know set deepfreez to boot unfrozen and reboot. Open your "My Computer and right click on your drive (if you have more than one repete these actions on each drive) Click "Properties" In this window click on "Disc Cleanup" and allow it to complete. read the list "Cleanup" wants to delete and if you are happy click "Yes" or "OK" whatever it is. After that is complete, click on "tools" and then "Check now" Put a check mark in the two boxes and click "Start. Your PC will have to be rebooted to check so allow Windows to reboot. Let it finish checking 5 of 5 and it will reboot. Open the same window again and this time click on "Defragment now" select your drive and click 'start" allow Windows to fully finish before you start anything.
Reboot and go "Start" "run" and type "msconfig" without the " ".
Click on the "start up" tab and see what programs are running at boot up. Any programs that run will slow down your boot up time and use memory that could slow your other programs. Any program that you no longer want, delete from "Add and remove programs" in the "control panel" any you do want but do not want running, open the program and change the preferences to not start at boot or windows. While you are in that window, change the 30 (in a box) to 3, that will boot your PC 27 seconds faster.
There are many other minor fixes for making your PC run faster but even a lot of them applied will not make much difference. If you want, search the internet for speed up fixes, but if you are ever going to touch the registry or make major changes, be sure to back up the registry and create a restore point. remember, you have "Deepfreeze" disabled and it will not go back as it was. The next best way to speed up a PC is to do a clean install but that requires you to save all your data, format your hard drive and after reinstalling windows, downloading and installing every SP, hotfix and update since your OS CD was produced. If after all this you still have trouble with your icon, do a SFC. Search the net if you don't know how.

ya i knw how to thawed my deep freeze . dear this all procedure is new for me but i wana try , 1 question I wana ask u that doing so my data will not deleted? 2nd thing how I can make my back up of settings , I don't knw much about IT bcoz I am business student .
so please help me a little bit more , I ll be very thankful to u.
1 thing more dear I have registered xp home edition which my brother would installed when he bought this laptop for me , and I also have eRecovery option. from that eRecovery I can refresh my windows which I often use. but I don't knw If I lost this OS once then how I can installled it again.
what you suggest me , how I make my backup of everything? and 2nd plz guide me like a little child bcoz i dnt knw even anything bout PC .

Ok
You say you do know how to boot windows with "Deepfreeze" unfrozen. so first Press your ctrl, alt + F6 type in your password and put a check mark in "Boot unfrozen" and reboot. Go to this site and if you can print the instructions and follow them. will not lose any data from your computer.
http://www.winxptutor.com/createrp.htm
That will create a restore point.
Then go to this site and if you can print the instructions and follow them. will not lose any data from your computer.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_cleanup_utility.htm
After you have completed that one go to the next site and again print the instructions if you can and follow them.
http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html
After you have completed that one go to the next site and again print the instructions if you can and follow them.
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/defrag.htm
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
This is where you look for programs you do not want or want to delete. After you get here, post back with your progress and someone will assist you further. OK

Good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.