Four sticks of RAM, If one is playing up it will cause a fault. Just try one chip in one slot just to see if it starts, if not try a second (alone and in a different slot) as the first one could have been the bad chip.

Four sticks of RAM, If one is playing up it will cause a fault. Just try one chip in one slot just to see if it starts, if not try a second (alone and in a different slot) as the first one could have been the bad chip.

yep four sticks of ram, i got alot of music and uh, er, disney movies. alright, i tried all the sticks in different slots and still nothing.
i'm starting to think this really has to do with the video card. i tried the vga term and the s-video and the hdmi still nothing

Easy to check card, just remove it and plug the monitor directly into the motherboard,

Easy to check card, just remove it and plug the monitor directly into the motherboard,

as soon as i chase down the three year old screwdriver thief i'll take it out and let you know

See if you can find my hammer while you are there. I need it to fix another PC.

I got same problem

I got same problem

Please start a new thread of your own and include as much information about you PC and the problem as you can including when it started, what you have done to fix it, if you have downloaded something or installed new hardware etc.... Someone will get back to you when we have more information than "I have the same problem"

Perhaps you could try a linux live CD. The ones I have automatically boot, if everything works then maybe it is more of a software/OS issue.

Do you have any other USB devices connected? perhaps try having just the keyboard connected and see if you can get that XP cd working.

- Let us know how it goes.

Perhaps you could try a linux live CD.
- Let us know how it goes.

yup, i suggested that to so many posters ,but most never try it ,and it could save days of trying to fix a windows hardware problem that is actuall a software problem ,i even have a link in my signature for one .go for it, you will be susprised when it works !or doesn't work ,at least then you know you have a HardWare issue

It is a matter of personal choice but I prefer the ultimate boot CD as it looks and feels like you are still in windows when you boot it and it is easy to use.

See if you can find my hammer while you are there. I need it to fix another PC.

sorry bob didn't find your hammer, i did find my screwdriver. but then realized the connector from the motherboard was a db9 and i have a hdd/vga connector on the monitor. is it possible to hook up my pc to my laptop and be able to run my pc from it? ie, be able to see my pc desktop from the laptop and run programs from it.

I am sorry, I don't know as I have never tried to run a PC through a laptop and I don't have one here to try. Maybe someone reading this can help you with an answer?

I am sorry, I don't know as I have never tried to run a PC through a laptop and I don't have one here to try. Maybe someone reading this can help you with an answer?

no worries bob, i have one more question though, when you said plug the monitor into the motherboard, did you mean did you mean the DB9 port on the back of the machine or actually to a port on the motherboard?

You will have two sockets on the back of your PC that you monitor can plug into, one for your video card and one on the motherboard. After you remove you video card, you plug into the remaining motherboard socket. I hope that makes sense!

You will have two sockets on the back of your PC that you monitor can plug into, one for your video card and one on the motherboard. After you remove you video card, you plug into the remaining motherboard socket. I hope that makes sense!

makes total sense, the other socket is a db9 witch i don't have a adapter for. on to bestbuy in the morning.

is it possible to hook up my pc to my laptop and be able to run my pc from it? ie, be able to see my pc desktop from the laptop and run programs from it.

the answer to that is, no.

ok so i got really tired of trying to figure this mess out. So off to the local PC store i went. and the verdict is ........... my cpu is fried. the guy at the computer store had no answers for me other than that. i would like to thank bob for being patient with my lack of knowledge. and thanks to everybody else who gave advice.

We are all here just to try and help with problems and to be thanked as you have is a great reward. Sorry that you will be up for the expense of a new CPU or full upgrade (Motherboard, CPU, Memory, PSU, etc..) One way to get a new PC....

Good luck

P.S. Look at making a slipstreamed CD/DVD before you install windows to your new CPU/.....
http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

hi please cheak cmos batery. and replace it

i am using intel core 2 duo and 2 gb ram and my moniter is hp lcd (hpv185w) on by restating the moniter is going to sleep mode please send me the answer for this query. i tried for to do boot also but it is not booting also in moniter it is apperaing bloor only full of black

Sunil, when you first start your sys [press the power button], do you see BIOS running the POST at startup? After 4 or 5 seconds does the hdd lamp begin to flash?
If nothing appears on your monitor except for some message that means No Signal then your first check would be RAM... pull one stick if you have two or more, swap them if your sys still does not work [before doing this, power OFF at the wall, ground your hands to the chassis].
I know you have checked your monitor cable. Take the monitor next door and see if it works on your friend's sys. You might score some rasgullas.
If nothing alters , then you have a big problem... RAM, mb, cpu, or psu [power supply].

hi

my monitor in sleep mode what to do Display will come & go

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.