My IBM PC kept getting this message on start up gstartup.ink not found then eventually the pc won't start at all. I tried safe boot and scan disks but the PC doesn't turn on it just continues to shut off. What happened?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My IBM PC kept getting this message on start up gstartup.ink not found then eventually the pc won't start at all. I tried safe boot and scan disks but the PC doesn't turn on it just continues to shut off. What happened?

You got Gator (at least, probably more). You need to run a spyware stomper; Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-aware are automated tools. HijackThis is more interactive; you can run it, save out the results, and post it here or elsewhere for more detailed help. All three programs, plus more tutorials and information, are available from my Malware Information links page.

What I like about the download link I found for HijackThis is that the page features easy-to-follow instructions for first-time users.

Does Windows "count down" before shutting off? You may also have the MS Blaster worm, as well -- or the related Welchia worm. You can go to the Symantec Removal Tools page for dealing with specific infections.

it comes in with software such as bearshare, kazaa, etc. I had the same problem I deleted gator but my computer kept saying stuff about "Glink" or whatever it is at start up so I went into the start menu under the "startup icon" and deleted the progam icon from there and I stopped getting the error. to delete gain or gator search your harddrive(s) for a file called GMT.exe and delete it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.