My friend has a laptop that boots strait to the safemode selection screen then crashes. He says he might have a virus. His battery is fine...could a virus have corrupted his boot sector that bad? and what steps should we take to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

Think...
If there is a bad boot sector, then the OS would not boot to recovery console in any OS. Anyway killing the system boot part of OS would probably block the virus to be even initialized :) .
I would think of bad drivers or a bad sectors in which is a vital system file/driver.

MBR stores data like, where to boot, there is which partition and so on... And the OS is partly booted.

Anyway, I would get a kind of win -PE like cd and do the check. Like WinPE, UBCD or bartPE and do a check of the partitions, surface and antivirus.

My friend has a laptop that boots strait to the safemode selection screen then crashes. He says he might have a virus. His battery is fine...could a virus have corrupted his boot sector that bad? and what steps should we take to fix this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.