Hey guys, I have a question regarding networking windows 7 and xp.

I know windows 7 to windows 7 networking is really easy with the homegroup function.

I just want to be able to do the same with XP and windows 7. All I want to do is share files between windows 7 and windows xp just like i do with windows 7 homegroup.

I dont have any idea on how i can go about doing this...
I would like some pointers in right direction. Any kind of tutorials or help or reference material will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi, a simple google search finds answer ,i found this as i don't know squat about networking the 2 OS's ,this person did it and wrote about it to help us all if we should need to network winxp with win7 .its a good read .I have 2 win7 computers networked it was quite simple ,3rd computer in the house is running win vista ,haven't tried to network it yet with the other two
http://muoncapture.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-network-windows-xp-with-windows_27.html

I have here same problem. I can see the Windows 7 computer but I couldn't open shared folders.

Any help on this matter. thanks

Okay, I have tried both the links about but for some reason my Windows 7 (64bit desktop) and windows xp home (32bit netbook) cannot seem to find each other on the network

Please guide me....

PS: Yes both computers are on the same workgroup called WORKGROUP
Yes file sharing is enabled on both the computers.

But for some reason neither computer can find the other on the network

Rein Valdez,.
You have piggybacked on another thread, you will make it hard for the OP to get his answers with a second thread running inside his, open your own thread and supply details about your machines and OS's

Okay, I have tried both the links about but for some reason my Windows 7 (64bit desktop) and windows xp home (32bit netbook) cannot seem to find each other on the network

Please guide me....

PS: Yes both computers are on the same workgroup called WORKGROUP
Yes file sharing is enabled on both the computers.

But for some reason neither computer can find the other on the network

Have you checked your Firewall settings?
Most Firewalls will block access for file/print sharing on a network, (just doing their job) so, you will have to change the settings to allow.

oh it worked! I turned off the firewall to test and its working now! Thanks

Well now I can only access files on windows 7 desktop from xp netbook, but not the other way around.

Any help will be appreciated...

I did manage to get Windows XP and Windows7 to talk to each other. My problem is when I ping the WindowsXP machine from Windows7 I get "request time out", yet they can share files back and forth. It doesn't make sense.

Hi Crash~Override,
If the Network Wizard allows you to enable File and Printer Sharing, then that should work. What I would do is modify the connection properties so that File and Printer Sharing is bound to the adapter that you are planning to share with. Either way, once File and Printer sharing is enabled, the service should be running in services.msc. You should not need to start the Service manually.

This is what i did ..

Make sure. you are in the same workgroup....

when i tried to acces the Windows 7 machine from my XP Machine on the same network.... it asked me for a user name and password .... so the simple fix here is .... give your win 7 machine a password ...

when you try to access the machine over the network .... enter username (the one you gave it when you first installed win 7 like "david" and password "1234" ) and password you gave to the win 7 machine and also click on remmember password.... this means next time you want to login to win 7 it will be instant no password problems

remmeber this .... Win 7 likes usernames and passwords.

If you do not have a password on your win 7 machine create one NOW!!..... Use Control Panel and then "User Accounts and Family Saftey" here you can set the password.

Hope this helps

Darren

thanks for your reply guys...I got it working!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.