I just recently tried to turn on my laptop (Compaq Persario F700) and going a rather upsetting message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Enter = Continue Esc = Exit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have the Vista installation disc, as the program was already on my computer when I bought it from Circuit City (which, everyone knows is now out of business).

I plan on calling HP to see if they can give me any advice on how to fix this.. but its still the wee hours of the morning (7 am) and I don't think the call center is open yet.
(I'm currently posting from my dad's laptop for those that are wondering.)

Since I don't have the installation disc and it says to reinstall Windows using the disc.. Would it be possible for the system recovery to possibly fix this problem? Or is there something else I need to do?

I'll try to keep tabs on this thread to see if I get a response, but sadly usage on this comp is limited for me. It would be greatly appreciated if you could email responses to me at chronatosis@gmail.com as I can check my emails on my phone.

Please help. This stinks..
And thanks in advance for those that do.

(I'm not sure if those are supposed to be 0s or Os in the "0xc000000f".. but I'm the people that can help me know what its supposed to be.)

Posted a question related to this on the Yahoo Answers site and the first response I get is someones saying "borrow an installation disc from someone". Despite the fact that they would think I'd be ignorant enough to post that if I could simply borrow the installation disc from someone...

To cover that basis, borrowing the installation disc from someone I know is not an option for me because no one I know has it.

Sorry for the sort of "RAWR!" attitude to this post... just getting a bit frustrated with it all. Again, my apologies. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Called HP and asked them if system recovery would fix the problem. They said it would. I ran it, everything is working fine, just trying to set it back up the way I had it... *sigh*

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.